IPv6 in CFW 3.00 kernel? What's the current situation?

Owen Smith

I'm just asking about the situation here, not particularly suggesting work should be done to add IPv6. Right, I've got that out of the way before people jump down my throat (I've had adverse reactions to any mention of IPv6 on other forums).

OK, so what is the state of IPv6 in the kernel we have in CFW 3.00? Absent, present but broken, or what? If the kernel is too old (in Linux terms) then IPv6 probably can't be made to work.

I ask because things are finally starting to happen. My new Sony TV has IPv6 and it works with my IPv6 internet connection (I'm with Andrews and Arnold). My only gear that doesn't support IPv6 is my Oppo 95 Blu Ray player and my HDR Fox T2s.

OK, so what is the state of IPv6 in the kernel we have in CFW 3.00? Absent, present but broken, or what?
Absent as far as I can tell (comparing /proc/net on the Humax with that on my various Linux PCs).
If the kernel is too old (in Linux terms) then IPv6 probably can't be made to work.
2.6 does support IPv6 in general, but what the actual specifics are relating to the Humax, I've no idea I'm afraid.
I would guess once you had support at a networking level, you would need compatible modules higher up the food chain.
I would also imagine all this is significant work, for a questionable amount of benefit, even if it is possible.

Here's a coincidence, because (as I'm an Andrews and Arnold customer too) I was thinking about IPv6 on the Hummy the other day.

Presuming that the "network setup" page couldn't be modified to add IPv6 support, I was wondering about doing dhcp6 silently with no user configuration. Perhaps adding IPv6 to the kernel, and then creating a meta-package for IPv6 users which contained dhcp6 and ip6tables.

Perhaps it might be my project for the snowy weeks of the new year :)

On the other hand, hiding the Hummy behind IPv4 NAT might be an extra layer of security... But I know some of my former colleagues at a well-known ISP are evangelical about having no IPv4 at home (I have just the Hummy and a VoIP phone which can't do IPv6).

Back