IR Remote - display media list?

Dave F.

Hi

I maybe missing the obvious, but I'd find the Remote package much more useful if it was able to display my media list. My PC is in a different room (with remote speakers) to my unit & TV, so being able to select my recorded radio shows from my chair would be a benefit.

I'm aware the media list is available in 'browse' but clicking Play on a selected file plays it though the network & requires a plugin. I'd like it so it continues to play if I need to reboot the PC.

Also is there a way to give custom time lengths to the skip forward/back codes or is that hard-wired within the Humax?

Err... yes but only 4 predetermined times & only one is selectable at a time. ie hardcoded. By "custom time" I mean something similar to: 0x67:45 or 0x67:365 where the number represent the amount of seconds to jump.

Edit:
Also worth noting is that skip forward settings is strangely listed under 'Recording', which is greyed out when recording, seeing it has nothing to do with recording.

Last edited:
Err... yes but only 4 predetermined times & only one is selectable at a time. ie hardcoded. By "custom time" I mean something similar to: 0x67:45 or 0x67:365 where the number represent the amount of seconds to jump.

Edit:
Also worth noting is that skip forward settings is strangely listed under 'Recording', which is greyed out when recording, seeing it has nothing to do with recording.
How would you determine what number you wanted to specify in a custom skip - if you know where you want to skip to in a recording you could set bookmarks at those points and use the bookmark skip button

I'm struggling to make myself clear.
I want to create my own webpage/GUI similar to the Remote page with buttons that perform actions on the Humax, but ideally with extra skip forward buttons. These would be used to jump forward different amounts of time to skip news sections or adverts etc while listening to a radio show. If it's possible to pass a specific time (ie: 0x67:365) a button could be set up to skip these sections in one button press as news sections, let's say, usually last roughly the same amount of time.

I don't think you've understood what's going on to make all this work.

The virtual remote control is only communicating with a process which injects button press codes into the Humax management system just as if they had come from the actual physical remote control handset. There are no extra command codes available. The virtual remote provides macro functions, whereby you can string together existing buttons presses, so if you wanted to program a double skip you just create a macro that performs two skips (and each skip would be whatever you have set up in the settings menus on the Humax).

I maybe missing the obvious, but I'd find the Remote package much more useful if it was able to display my media list. My PC is in a different room (with remote speakers) to my unit & TV, so being able to select my recorded radio shows from my chair would be a benefit.
Over and over again I have to tell people there is no way to do this. The only control available over what the Humax does is by the injection of command codes equivalent to remote control handset button presses, and if you can figure out a sequence of button presses that would always achieve what you want no matter what state the Humax was in when you start, you're a better man than me.

My solution is a network of HD- and HDR-FOXes, all able to play content from the others.

Last edited:
The skip forward/backward times are stored in the setup.db which can be browsed form the diag menu.

It might be possible to change the skip values to something other than one of the preset menu choices using the power on channel pox file see the wiki
eg to set a 13 second forward skip
Code:
TBL_MENUCONFIG:SKIP_FORWARD:13
This would still only give you a single skip value but using a programmable remote control or IR package macros you could create other skip values by various combinations of forward/backward skips

I have not tried this myself so caveat emptor

I don't think you've understood what's going on to make all this work.

You're correct. That's why I was asking the question. As an end user I think it's unreasonable to be expected to know every minutiae of the software.

Over and over again I have to tell people there is no way to do this.

I searched the wiki & forum for as much information as I could, but was unable to find anything relevant. Could you point out where you said this in the wiki page please, Doing so could avid repetition.

I note that 'IR' is too short to be saved as a search tag & 'remote' retrieves more about Remote Scheduling. It's disapointing you attempt to criticise me for failures in the the website & poor package naming.

To clarify, are you also saying a 'Browse' style listing couldn't be implemented on the Remote page so users can click to play a selected program?

You're correct. That's why I was asking the question. As an end user I think it's unreasonable to be expected to know every minutiae of the software.
Maybe so, but it is helpful to understand the principles on which it works and therefore its limitations. The Custom Firmware is not a retail product - it is an enthusiast project. Anyone deciding to use it is doing so of their own volition and at their own risk, and at least a little understanding is reasonable to expect.

I have written about these kinds of thing at length (but not on the wiki - you will find my informational posts within this forum, and the forum has search mechanisms or can be searched via Google).

To clarify, are you also saying a 'Browse' style listing couldn't be implemented on the Remote page so users can click to play a selected program?
Yes. Unless you can come up with a way to tell the Humax firmware to start playing a particular file in the file system - which nobody else has, and would be so useful it would have been done by now.

Back