Is it dead?

Davy G

Hi folks,

I discovered this site today and hope someone can shed some light regarding my unresponsive HDR box.

I have it about 3 years now and a good while ago it stopped working, in that it wouldnt come on at all....nothing! As I had Sky in another room I didnt worry about it and chucked it into a cupboard. As Sky want to get into me for even more money from next month I have decided to get rid and have dug the freesat box out again. I checked it today and discovered that the 13 amp fuse in the plug was blown so replaced that, but it still wouldnt switch on. I opened it up as I had read loads of threads about blown capacitors, but they all look fine. I checked the power coming in with a multi meter and it showed that power was definately coming to the rear on/off switch, and when I switched this on it was getting power to the plug on the PSU board. At this point I didnt want to remove the board to check any further in case I damage anything. So as it sits its only use is as a paper weight or door stop :mad:

Has anyone had this problem or knows of someone with the same problem who has now got it sorted, or is the box only good for scrap now? Any pointers for further investigation and any advice is greatly welcomed!!

Cheers,
Davy G

Why on earth (!) have you got a 13A fuse in the plug powering a poxy satellite receiver? Put a 3A in before you start a fire. If it's really blown a 13A fuse there is something seriously wrong with it.

Thanks for the replies! Regarding the 13 amp fuse....thats what was in the plug from the factory. I know this as I have never changed it until yesterday. The only thing I can guess may have happened to blow the fuse is maybe a surge after a power cut as we live in a rural location and did suffer regular power cuts at one stage depending on the weather. As for disconnecting the hard drive, I did this yesterday without success. There is absolutely no sign of life when it is switched on. Are there any other checks I can make or should I just bin it?

Cheers

I have just dug out the user manual and in the power section appendix it says that the unit has a separate internal fuse. Anyone know where it is and what it looks like? I didnt see anything obvious when I was checking the capacitors.

Last edited:
It's up to you whether you just bin it - it depends how experienced you are with electronics fault finding or are willing to spend money (or have a friend) on someone who is. No guarantee of success of course.

Only two things in life guaranteed....taxes and death :laugh: Now does anyone know where the internal fuse is...thats the question??

Back