Is it possible to run a HD drive in a HDR ?

wobbler

I suspect the answer is 'no' as the firmwares may be too different but thought I would ask.

I have a SATA drive written on my old HD via a USB-connected docking station.
I know there is no way to copy the contents off other than via a PC capture card and composite video connection, which is what I have been doing but the quality leaves a bit to be desired.

So I just wondered if the SATA drive could be temporarily swapped into the HDR to see if it could then copy/decrypt to a USB drive?

I have a SATA drive written on my old HD via a USB-connected docking station.
I know there is no way to copy the contents off other than via a PC capture card and composite video connection..
What do you mean by an old HD?
If you mean an HD-FOX T2 then what I did was load the custom firmware for the HD-FOX T2 on to the HD-FOX T2, decrypt the files using the dual boot package to use the decrypt HDR-FOX T2 functionality, and then copy off the HD-FOX recordings on to the HDR-FOX. On this occasion I did not know what I was really doing but with the work gone into the HD-FOX T2 custom firmware I did not need to. I didn't have to have a second attempt at anything as everything worked first time. OK I do work in IT but I'm not sure that helped on this occasion!

So I just wondered if the SATA drive could be temporarily swapped into the HDR to see if it could then copy/decrypt to a USB drive?
The only machine that can decrypt the HD-FOX T2 recordings is the HD_FOX T2 that recorded them but you would need to run the HDR-FOX T2 software on the HD-FOX T2 to do this.
A s said via the custom firmware and the dual boot package.

Last edited:
Thanks Luke!
'old HD' just meant it had been relegated to the back room when I replaced it with a HDR.
I'll look into what you suggested, cheers.

Well, tell us what the 'old HD' actually is and 'we' (not me) might be able to assist in decryption/copying of the stuff as you asked in post #1

This topic has been posts in the Foxsat section of the forum, so I presume we are talking Foxsat-HD and Foxsat-HDR, not HD-FOX and HDR-FOX?

Sorry for making invalid assumptions, the HD refers to a 'HD-FOX T2', and HDR to 'HDR-FOX T2'.
So yes, I have also screwed up by posting in the wrong section, could someone move it out of the Foxsat section ?

Yes, thanks, this bit answers my question....
(the keys are unique to each individual unit, and the algorithm is surmised but unknown to us)
Sorry for missing it in my initial perusal of 'Things every....should know'.
Back to the capture card....

Is there some reason you can't resurrect the HD-FOX that made the recordings originally, and use the custom firmware methods to do the decrypting?

Well the HD-FOX works fine and I can watch the recordings I made on the USB-connected SATA drive in a docking station, and/or use the composite video to record on a PC using a capture card. It just so happens that there are some recordings that I would have liked to have kept by archiving on a PC, a la HDR-FOX.
I haven't gone into the possibilities of using the CF as there seems no way for the HD-FOX to recognise 2 USB drives. The docking station has a pass through but plugging a stick in doesn't get picked up.

Well the HD-FOX works fine and I can watch the recordings I made on the USB-connected SATA drive in a docking station, and/or use the composite video to record on a PC using a capture card. It just so happens that there are some recordings that I would have liked to have kept by archiving on a PC, a la HDR-FOX.
I haven't gone into the possibilities of using the CF as there seems no way for the HD-FOX to recognise 2 USB drives. The docking station has a pass through but plugging a stick in doesn't get picked up.
The unit should be able to see two USB drives: a simple USB hub will do the trick. You will have to power at least one of the drives though as the USB port won't provide enough power for two.
To clarify, the drive that has the recordings on it is formatted in ext3 format and is the one used previously as the recording drive on the HD-FOX? If so the custom firmware is, as stated in above posts, the easiest way to get copies of your files and you only need one drive to decrypt. Summary below:
With just the one hard drive connected by USB, this drive should be mounted as 'drive1' (should be automatic) and presumably the recordings are in /drive1/Video.
Create a new folder e.g. /drive1/Recordings.
Install the custom firmware, download the full web interface and install the packages auto-unprotect and boot-HDR. Auto-unprotect will scan the 'Video' folder and remove the protection flags ('Enc' flags) from any high def. recordings.
Boot the unit into HDR mode: read up about boot-HDR on the wiki and in Black Hole's guides. The box will now be running the HDR-FOX software. The external USB drive will now appear to be mounted twice: as both the internal drive (the 'Video' folder will be mounted as /media/My Video) and as a USB device (drive1).
With the remote control handset, copy your programmes from '/media/My Video' to '/drive1/Recordings'. The recordings will be copied and decrypted in the process. When complete reboot.
The contents of /drive1/Recordings will be decrypted and playable on other devices such as a HDR-FOX or a PC.

Back