Is it possible to watch HDR-Fox T2 on Apple tv

Do you mean you are running the app on an iPad and casting to the Apple TV? Of course I can do that, and I recommend the VLC app (easy peasy). I thought you meant an app running on the Apple TV itself - and mine has no access to an app store.

No I mean that I had to install it on my Apple tv’s (have the last two models) and why have you no access to the app store

From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_TV:
Wikipedia said:
The 4th generation also uses a new operating system, tvOS, with an associated App Store, allowing download of third-party apps for video, audio, games and other content. Upon release, the third-party apps were available from a limited range of providers, with new APIs providing opportunities for more third-party apps to be released in the future.

I have a 3rd generation Apple TV (Rev A), therefore no app store.

If I may ask a few questions, for the benefit of others who might like to try out an Apple TV (4th generation +) as a media player for HDR-FOX content:
  1. Do you have custom firmware on the HDR-FOX?
  2. If "yes", are you routinely decrypting recordings?
  3. If "yes", do you have packages samba or nfs-utils installed?
If you can, please tell us whether your process uses DLNA as the access mechanism*, and if so whether you are able to access HiDef recordings without having to unprotect them first (this is not the same as decrypting)**.

There may be some supplementary questions to further refine the understanding.

* To test this, it is probably easiest to turn off the HDR-FOX's DLNA server and see if content is still accessible: Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = Off. Note this needs to be On for decryption.

** Without Custom Firmware, no HiDef recordings are unprotected without taking special measures. With CF, remove the auto-unprotect package and make a HiDef test recording, then see if it is accessible. Add back auto-unprotect to make it accessible (after a period to allow for processing).

Last edited:
Back