"Is ITVX on Aura a lesser version?"

Trilobite

...So asks 'Trog' on another forum.

I don't know about ITVX, because I've never used it - however the Humax Aura version of Youtube certainly is a lesser version.

On a 2009 laptop and a 2021 model year Panasonic television, Youtube videos can be adjusted in the Youtube settings cogwheel menu to play in variable speed. On the Aura, I have discovered that the speed option is not available. I presume that this is because the Aura is stuck in the past, with an obscure locked-down Android 9 platform firmware.

The topic had already been raised on MyHumax.org.

However, ITV have a page to explain some aspects of the Live option, and that some Freeview models' ITVX do not have the Live option.

Live didn't used to be included on the older Freeeview Play devices, but according to ITV is now being included on some freeview devices.
With reference to Aura, Live wasn't included by ITV with the old ITVhub app either.

I think it's worth mentioning that any live viewing of TV, even by IP, requires a TV licence, whereas non-live does not (except iPlayer, I believe). This might be a factor in the various providers' thinking.

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but I thought viewing or recording live TV requires a license. So a PVR requires a license and they could provide or adapt an app to view live feed.

For context this was my original post..........................

"I had a fellow Aura owner ask me why they could not get the new Big Brother live feed on their Aura. I checked on mine last night and though there was obvious links to Big Brother and Big Brother Late and Live there was no mention of the live feed, even after typing the title into search nothing was offered. I then tried ITVX on my laptop, the first thing I saw when the home page loaded was a link to the live feed and at the top of the page were the following options...........
LIVE FILM CATEGORIES NEWS MY LIST................ So why is there no "Live" option offered on the Aura version of ITVX?"

Thank you for the replies though I still see no reason for why the ITVX live feed can be easily accessed on a PC but totally excluded from the Aura. The same TV licence rules apply to both. I have not checked yet if my Samsung TV has it or not but will later.

On https://support.itv.com/en_us/how-do-i-watch-live-tv-on-itvx-SJk7Tgjfi it is possible to scroll down to reveal various options for asking ITV further questions.
Cheers Luke, with so many devices listed as having the feature including Android TV it seems very odd that the Aura has not included the ability. My Big Brother obsessed friend is adamant that in the past (pre Aura) they were able to watch Big Brother live feeds on a Humax Freeview box. I think it used to be on CH4 so if they are right maybe that is why.

ITV X, like BBC iPlayer has to customise their streaming feeds to different devices' abilities... hence the loss of support for some older devices (Foxsat-HDR and HDR-Fox-T2) as the user base diminishes...

Does the Aura support live BBC iPlayer viewing?

Back