Is my Grade A box faulty?

Hi guys,

Oh dear, looks like I have a couple of problems with my Grade A.

Firstly sound. When playing back recorded progs after an hour or so the sound vanishes for 20 - 30 seconds and then returns. It seems to follow this pattern again and again. At first I thought it was a broadcast issue but if you wind back and play again it's fine. I've tried plugging some amplified PC speakers in via the phonos and they go off too so I think it has to be the box.

I'm also getting failed recordings "no signal". I'm not really sure what that means, is it that it didn't see the expected "program starting signal" or does it mean full on - no mux? The humax is cascaded with a Sony RDR HDX910 dvd/HD recordeer which has worked fine pre and post DSO for over 6 years so I'm sure my aerial is fine. The Humax says 83% to 89% for signal level on the muxes and 100% quality for all of them. I've not seen any sign of DTTV problems except this.

I've contacted Humax, they want me to factory default the machine, do a manual retune and format the hard disc. Okay, I'll play I suppose they have to assume people are idiots and have multiple transmitter muxes all over the place. I know I haven't because there's a filter in my aerial down lead to chop out other transmitters and I've looked at the mux list in the Humax and all 6 are correct. I find it extremely difficult to believe that configuration errors could give intermittent sound but I'll try it.

Wish I'd spent the extra and got a new one now. Any got experience, will Humax sort this or will they not care?

Bob.

I have read mixed experiences on here although from memory I think if you bought from Humax direct and play their diagnostic games they do sort things out (but I'm sure someone with direct experience will confirm/deny that). You could have a look Here (Click) where serial numbers are being recorded on returns/replacements just to see if we get any 'boomerangs' floating about. Hopefully your box isn't one but add your serial number anyway for future reference.

I have read mixed experiences on here although from memory I think if you bought from Humax direct and play their diagnostic games they do sort things out (but I'm sure someone with direct experience will confirm/deny that). You could have a look Here (Click) where serial numbers are being recorded on returns/replacements just to see if we get any 'boomerangs' floating about. Hopefully your box isn't one but add your serial number anyway for future reference.

Thanks for that. if mine goes back I will post the serial number as you suggest. An excellent idea.

I had a chat with support who gave me a call number and suggested I call sales. The sales people said they would give me a refund on the Grade A and I bit their hand off! I then ordered a new full price box which is now installed, just hope there are no more issues.
I have added the serial number in the group list.

Bob.

Back