Is my HDD doomed?

Yes, looking at the labels, it appears to be identical to the original. Would the fact that I formatted it to EXT3 on a Windows 7 machine be the problem?

I've just replaced the 1TB Seagate Pipeline in my Hummy with an identical drive. The whole job took about 15 minutes, including formatting in the machine. I've no idea what format the disk was before I installed it - or even if it was formatted at all. I just took it out of the packet and dropped it in. I'd feel inclined to delete any partitions you've created on the replacement disk and try it again.

I would say sound advice. I dropped a 1TB HDD in my HDR this morning, formatted it, took it out and connected it to my Win7 PC. As I have Ext2fsd running, I could copy all my saved recordings (550GB worth) back then put the HDD back into the HDR.

I can confirm recordings play no problem.

Well I've tried partitioning it to exactly match the previous drive and that hasn't worked either. The drive spins up when the humax boots up, but then I can't access the data management options and it never offers me a format option.

What would be the factory format settings for a HDD? No partitions at all?

The Humax format option would create all the relevant partitions at the time. Erase the partition table and see what happens.

Nope, still not working. After erasing the partitions completely, with all 465gb unallocated, the Humax still couldn't find the drive. I'll be sending it back.

On that note, the Amazon link to the Seagate Pipeline 2 states the HDDs are "new". Mine arrived wrapped in bubblewrap only and formatted to exFAT. Emails with the trader reveal that they open all the HDDs to "test them" and they can't supply one in original packaging. This seems very suspicious to me, so it's going back for a refund and I'll see if I can find a genuinely new HDD to put into my Humax.

Well, I don't think that drive was new. All my new drives have been sealed in a static sensitive bags and have not been formatted in any way. Get a refund and complain. I would. Miss sold there for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

the Amazon link to the Seagate Pipeline 2 states the HDDs are "new". Mine arrived wrapped in bubblewrap only and formatted to exFAT.
That sounds like not new to me too. You can usually tell fairly conclusively by looking at the Smart data for the drive - specifically the number of Powered-on-hours and number of Start/Stop cycles.
New drives that I have had have typically a small handful of start/stops and 0 on the PoH.

Emails with the trader reveal that they open all the HDDs to "test them" and they can't supply one in original packaging.
Utter cr*p. Unacceptable. I've never known anyone receive brand new stock and then test it, unless it has then been integrated into a system.

It's gone back in the post today. I'll wait until I've got my refund before I let rip on the feedback part of Amazon. But a note to you all - beware of "Geekys" on Amazon.

Meanwhile the search for a replacement HDD goes on. I want to avoid the Advance Format HDDs, and I've no need for anything over 1tb in the humax (already having a 2.5tb Popcorn Hour for all the archive recordings). Finding an appropriate HDD that is still in stock seems to be very hard - all the ones previously mentioned (EAVS, EARS, Pipeline 2) seem to be no longer produced.

Are there any particular specs I should be looking for? 5400rpm? any particular colour of WD?

That's the problem, isn't it. A second hand drive might be acceptable at second hand price, as long as it is declared as such.

I replaced my noisy Pipeline with a WD5000AVCS, which is completely silent and works fine.
If you need a 1TB version, the WD10EURX seems to be OK although it is advanced format, and is available from Dabs and elsewhere.

I would hang fire recommending the WD10EURX. I have fitted one this week to replace the standard Seagate 500GB Pipline 2. I had several failed or more correctly, shortened recordings with an on-screen message stating something about a power failure. This was not the case as my other HDR recorded the same things fully.

I have now changed the HDD to a WD10EVDS which is identical to my existing HDR and is incidentally NOT and advance format drive.

No failed/shortend recordings since. He says tempting fate. Of course it might not be related but looks like it for now.

I have not got to the bottom of it yet as I keep getting moaned at by SWMBO as I am spending too much time 'playing'.

Back