Is there anyway of installing a codec pack to the hummy

ross07

just a question is there anyway of installing a codec pack to the hummy as it dont play hd x264 mkvs but seems to play all others if someone could load a codec pack to device will probably fix this if custom firmware is being made surely a custom codec is easy

if not what software do the hummy use ie linux etc so i can have a play with it myself the h264 mkvs go to play then stops so it shouldent be that hard to fool the hummy in to playing the files as it do start to play fine then about 8 seconds in it crashes

ps ive had no trouble playing any other format as of yet avi fine avi hd fine mp4 fine mp4 hd fine xvid fine mpeg fine etc etc mkv without h264 codec plays fine
just h264 that it suffers with

The Humax uses hardware to play video files rather than a software player such as VLC, although it may be possible to add capability using a software player / codecs as you can on a P.C. this would require more CPU processing power than the Humax has available. The Humax runs Debian GNU Linux.

A software player would have nowhere to output to, as we do not have write access to the video buffer or sound output.

The Humax runs Debian GNU Linux.
Er no, it doesn't.
It runs a Linux kernel with Busybox/uClibC userspace components and proprietary drivers and applications. It has nothing to do with Debian (an operating environment distribution which combines the Linux kernel with GNU components and the Debian packaging system).

It does however feel like a traditional GNU/Linux system and the lightweight packaging system, opkg, used by the customised firmware is derived from Debian's dpkg.

Has there been any developments with this? I've got loads of mkvs I'd like to play on the hummy.

Like the OP says - they seem to start to play video making me think its the audio thats the issue?

If there's nothing that can be done to make the files play as is - is there an easy way to convert or repackage the files so that they will play?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks I'll give that a go. I'm also gonna give "mkvextract" and "mp4box" a go.

Would be cool to have an on-the-box option though.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Would be cool to have an on-the-box option though.
Although the Humax uses ffmpeg to extract audio files while it is also being a TV tuner, it could really only convert audio files while not being used as a TV tuner, there is some info. HERE

Back