Is there anyway to make the Humax control the actual TV volume?

Member 7823

I'm not getting on with separate volume control because every time I switch to TV the volume is to high and back to Hummy4000 it's to low

It's there anyway to make the Humax control the actual TV volume?

Adjust the volume on the 4000 until it matches the TV. (up full on some devices.) then leave it there. Then use the TV control to adjust the volume from both.

I much prefer a recorder box to operate the tv volume (and also mute). My older Echostar HDT-610R's did, the newer Humax 4000's doesn't.

Each to his own. I can't understand the logic though. Don't you get volume jumps when you switch from the box to the TV?

Each to his own. I can't understand the logic though. Don't you get volume jumps when you switch from the box to the TV?
Volume jumps?

TiVo controller controls the actual TV volume irrespective of switching source so there are no jumps
Hence the Humax could do the same
I had never experienced volume jumps until I got Humax and switch from the box to TV

That said, for myself, Im now using the Humax phono outs to connect to my amp and the Humax integral volume controls it perfectly so I'm happy

Sent from my GEM-702L using Tapatalk

TiVo controller controls the actual TV volume irrespective of switching source so there are no jumps
This only works as long as the various sources have reasonably matched volumes. Unless there is some adjustment available, this is not guaranteed. It's a pain that (typically) DVD players don't have volume control.

This only works as long as the various sources have reasonably matched volumes. Unless there is some adjustment available, this is not guaranteed. It's a pain that (typically) DVD players don't have volume control.
Not sure what you're talking about really
It's *the* TV volume control
It doesn't vary across sources so I don't get where all this is coming from?
I never had an issue with inconsistent volume avoid sources until I bought this Humax with it's pseudo volume
Hence the post
This is all foreign to non Humax users
It's a Humax only issue

Some users complain that when they switch between their PVR and TV sources, the TV is a lot louder than the PVR. The advice given is to adjust the PVR volume output until it matches the TV volume (usually nearly max vol, as the default on Humax boxes is about half vol) and then use just the TV volume control (which is what you are doing and the bit I misunderstood. I thought that you were using the box's volume control). A problem sometimes arises when the external box has no independent vol control, so can't be adjusted to match the TV's vol.

That's where it's coming from;)

Not sure what you're talking about really
It's *the* TV volume control
It doesn't vary across sources so I don't get where all this is coming from?
I never had an issue with inconsistent volume avoid sources until I bought this Humax with it's pseudo volume
Hence the post
This is all foreign to non Humax users
It's a Humax only issue

The Humax boxes have independent volume controls, so you can either use it as the master volume (I watch telly exclusively via the Humax, even live, because of the live pause facility), or adjust the Humax volume to match the TV's tuner volume and then stick to using the TV's volume control - that way there will be no variation switching between TV tuner and Humax as the source.

I take issue with your assertion that this is only a Humax problem: my DVD and Blu-Ray players don't have any means to adjust their output volume, and using them as sources there is a significant variance with the TV tuner volume resulting in having to change the TV volume to a comfortable level (and then restoring it when returning to the TV or Humax sources). If anything, this is a "problem" Humax have cracked and everyone else is behind on. It's not a pseudo-volume control, it is entirely functional if you want to use it.

The source of annoyance with Humax is simply that the remote control handset (for the HDR-FOX/Foxsat, anyway) can control the Humax itself and three other items (including the TV), but has no "break through" on the controls so that it only controls the TV volume and mute when in TV mode - so it's easy to forget to press the TV button when adjusting the volume and you end up controlling the Humax output volume instead. We've solved that in HDR-FOX custom firmware by being able to disable the volume buttons in Humax mode.

The Logitech Harmony range of universal programmable remote control handsets have volume and mute buttons which always send out the TV codes whichever mode you are in, which solves the problem, once the source volumes are matched - and as said above, it is possible to match the source volume on a Humax and you have to trust to luck with other devices that have no independent control of output volume.

The source of annoyance with Humax is simply that the remote control handset (for the HDR-FOX/Foxsat, anyway) can control the Humax itself and three other items (including the TV), but has no "break through" on the controls so that it only controls the TV volume and mute when in TV mode - so it's easy to forget to press the TV button when adjusting the volume and you end up controlling the Humax output volume instead. We've solved that in HDR-FOX custom firmware by being able to disable the volume buttons in Humax mode.

There is nothing annoying with the way that the Humax remote control handles the volume and mute buttons. It is perfectly logical to press the TV button if you want to control a TV function, or press the PVR button to control a PVR function. I certainly wouldn't want it any other way.

The Logitech Harmony range of universal programmable remote control handsets have volume and mute buttons which always send out the TV codes whichever mode you are in, which solves the problem, once the source volumes are matched - and as said above, it is possible to match the source volume on a Humax and you have to trust to luck with other devices that have no independent control of output volume.

This statement is certainly not true! On my Harmony remote control, I have the volume and mute buttons set to control and mute the volume on my PVR's, and not the TV. It is possible to set the volume and mute buttons to work any other device, such as an AV amplifier, or even TV, should you wish to do this.

There is nothing annoying with the way that the Humax remote control handles the volume and mute buttons. It is perfectly logical to press the TV button if you want to control a TV function, or press the PVR button to control a PVR function. I certainly wouldn't want it any other way.
Yes, it's logical - but how often do you forget? I'm willing to bet there are plenty of people who do find it annoying, and the reason they (including me) use the Humax volume.

This statement is certainly not true! On my Harmony remote control, I have the volume and mute buttons set to control and mute the volume on my PVR's, and not the TV. It is possible to set the volume and mute buttons to work any other device, such as an AV amplifier, or even TV, should you wish to do this.
Which Harmony do you have? As far as I can recall, on my my Harmony 300, I didn't set it up in any special way (just downloaded the codes for the TV and the PVR), and the volume/mute buttons operate the TV even when the PVR is selected (Cable/Sat button). I may have forgotten a step of course.

Yes, it's logical - but how often do you forget? I'm willing to bet there are plenty of people who do find it annoying, and the reason they (including me) use the Humax volume.

I don't forget, as I only use my Humax remote controls to control my Humax boxes. I have a separate remote control to control my TV.

Which Harmony do you have? As far as I can recall, on my my Harmony 300, I didn't set it up in any special way (just downloaded the codes for the TV and the PVR), and the volume/mute buttons operate the TV even when the PVR is selected (Cable/Sat button). I may have forgotten a step of course.

I have a Harmony 525, this is now a discontinued model. I had been considering replacing it with one from the current range, but may have to have a rethink if they have removed the customisation options. I do not require the 'Activity' features, and only use mine in the 'Device' mode.

With a single handset to operate all the AV kit, it is sensible for the volume control to operate the TV and/or amp rather than the individual sources, in whatever control mode you are using at the time. The ideal is to balance the output level of all the sources and leave them there, so that switching between sources does not produce wild variations in sound level.

Back