Is this conflicting advice?

Earlier this year I added the custom software to 1.02.28 and its been fine. Noticing that 1.02.29 is about to be sent out I thought I would do it now rather than have something go wrong just before christmas. Trouble is, the instructions seem to conflict to me...

On the firmware downloads page there is a dire warning at the top stating that the custom software is not a replacement and the official software MUST be installed first.

On the firmware upgrade page it says that if you have 1.02.28 and the CF you can upgrade both with one file download install of CFW 2.14/1.02.29.

I'm confused as this contradicts itself to me and of course I cannot find software download labelled as CFW 2.14/1.02.29 anyway.

Clearly I'm missing soemthing here, would someone sort me out please.

Cheers,

Bob.

The safe position is to update the standard firmware first and then add the appropriate custom firmware on top. Anyone already running the custom firmware prior to that can also save trouble by preparing for the update by running the diagnostic prepare_for_upgrade first.

However, there are specific circumstances where some of these steps are unnecessary, and although the above will work in all circumstances, human nature dictates that people want short cuts when applicable.

All the firmwares are accessible via the Wiki page HERE (click), and the appropriate short-cuts via the update table HERE (click).

The safe position is to update the standard firmware first and then add the appropriate custom firmware on top. Anyone already running the custom firmware prior to that can also save trouble by preparing for the update by running the diagnostic prepare_for_upgrade first.

All the firmwares are accessible via the Wiki page HERE (click), and the appropriate short-cuts via the update table HERE (click).

Thanks for your helpful and prompt reply, really appreciated. Trouble is I think I must be getting old and suddenly this all seem s much harder than last time I upgraded. Senior moment.

Could you tell me where this "diagnostic" can be found and do I have to install it (from where) and then how do I run it?

The shortcuts you mention is still has me baffled. That page to me just has text, no download links, so where is the shortcut file?

Cheers,

Bob.

The table tells you how to get from where you are to where you want to go. The first Wiki page I referenced is full of links - each file listing is a hot link to its download (just click it).

Diagnostics is a page on the WebIF - from the front page click the Diagnostics icon, then prepare_for_upgrade is available from the drop-down list (presuming you have a recent version of the WebIF installed, auto-update is a useful package to install).

There is no need to confuse yourself with short cuts; if in doubt:
  1. Visit the Diagnostics page on the WebIF and run prepare_for_upgrade (from the list, or just type it in instead of where the box says "general");
  2. Install the latest standard firmware downloadable via the Wiki page HERE (click) - see "HDR-FOX T2 - Official Humax Firmware"*;
  3. Install the latest custom firmware downloadable via the Wiki page HERE (click) - see "HDR-FOX T2 - Customised Firmware"*.
* Note: this is for HDR-FOX; for HD-FOX see the equivalent lists relevant to HD-FOX.

On the firmware downloads page there is a dire warning at the top stating that the custom software is not a replacement and the official software MUST be installed first.On the firmware upgrade page it says that if you have 1.02.28 and the CF you can upgrade both with one file download install of CFW 2.14/1.02.29.I'm confused as this contradicts itself to me and of course I cannot find software download labelled as CFW 2.14/1.02.29 anyway.

The WiKi instruction is meant to indicate that a suitable 'standard Base' is required before a matching custom package can be loaded on top of it, recently the requirement has changed and the wording does need updating. Under this statement there is a link called Upgrade Path that shows what you need to do from various possible starting points

The 'download labelled as CFW 2.14/1.02.29' you say you can't find is in the Firmware Downloads page and is called HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.29_mod_2.14.zip.

The simplest way to upgrade in your case is to just install CFW 2.14/1.02.29 straight over what you have. No need to load the official 1.02.29 first and no need to run any diagnostic scripts.

Guys, I really am most grateful for all your time and advise and I apologise for being so thick.

To clarify, if I may. Are we saying that the same custom software for 29 can be places on factory software 28 and it will upgrade the factory and the custom?

What I don't get is if CFW 2.14/1.02.29' is HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.29_mod_2.14.zip which upgrades both the factory and the custom, where is the custom firmware alone that can be dropped on top of the factory firmware as we used to do.

Cheers,

Bob..

What I don't get is if CFW 2.14/1.02.29' is HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.29_mod_2.14.zip which upgrades both the factory and the custom, where is the custom firmware alone that can be dropped on top of the factory firmware as we used to do.
Cheers,

The above firmware does both jobs. In the old days 1.02.20 was too 'different' from 1.02.28 to be used as a base, so from 1.02.20 + CF you needed a standard 1.02.28 followed by 1.02.28+CF. However 1.02.28+CF is a similar enough 'base' to allow 1.02.29+CF to be installed directly

The new Firmware page note :-

"The modified firmware available from this page is not a stand alone replacement for the original firmware. As its name suggests, it customises the original software. Due to this, original software of the correct version level MUST be in place before the customised version is overlayed onto it." It may be possible to achieve this in a single step, See Upgrade Path for details on the upgrade process and versions required.

Are we saying that the same custom software for 29 can be places on factory software 28 and it will upgrade the factory and the custom?
This might help (edited by me to aid clarity):
Part of the official 1.02.29 is included in the custom version (by necessity, although I would prefer that it wasn't required). The parts that aren't included are unchanged between 1.02.27, .28 & .29 which is why you can switch between those versions without using the official update.
...which I understand as saying there is no difference between .27, .28, and .29 once the CF has been applied over the top of them, and as CF2.14 carries the "payload" of .29 with it you can't avoid effectively updating to .29 when the CF is loaded.

However, notwithstanding what af123 said in post #7 above (which happens to apply in your present case, as given in the upgrade path table), the standard procedure which will always work in all circumstances is what I posted at #4.

Bear in mind that some of us prefer to use standard firmware 1.02.20. See Things Every... (click) section 1, and also HERE (click).

Looks like the upgrade has worked fine, now on 29 for both factory and custom. Shouldn't get a forced upgrade right before Christmas now. Excellent!

Cheers guys

Bob.

Back