Is this HDD on its way out

Not too late. I’m now looking at two HDRs that won’t boot.
The third, the one who’s HDD I wiped is still working. Currently setting it up as tv connected box.

Can you see if you can Telnet into the box, and if so, run ps and report the output.
I think you can also turn on some logging with touch /opt/etc/.SYSLOG_ENABLE and then some stuff might get created in /opt/tmp/syslog

Hello prpr. Sorry no joy. Telnet session times out. Logging into my router it’s not even be listed as on the network. But the network lights on the HDR and switch are flashing.

Seems unlikely. And I don't think there have been any updates to CF or packages lately have there? Even if there were, other people should be reporting the same thing.
Indeed, there have been no updates for a while.
Two weeks ago my Pushmail’s became erratic. There a thread about it. Before I could try a different email address to push from it righted itself before the end of October.
I did send a lot of test emails to myself. But only from one box. So don’t think there is a connection.

Hello once more. Interesting things to report.
HDR1. The first to hang at boot and the one I wiped the HDD of partitions is still booting. Currently having its content put back on.
HDRs 2 and 3 as of last night where both hanging at boot with Custom FW 4.1.3 in the display.
Given the apparent success of wiping the HDD I proceeded to do that with HDR2 as its critical for my daughters Our Yorkshire Farm viewing!

HDR2's HDD was wiped, repartitioned with gparted and put back in. CFW reinstalled. All the packages I need put back in. Rebooted often and all was well (fingers crossed).

HDR3 I took a different approach. I had already deleted the mnt/hd4/opt folder on this. It rebooted, was re CFW'd and after installing all my required packages rebooted it and it hung again. So this time I repeated the process, but after each package install rebooted the box. I installed these in this order...
restart-now
channel-editor
convertfiles
dropbear
fixfilenames
fixfilepaths
log-viewer
mediatomb
mobile-remote-control
nasmount
newk

and it hung on reboot.

Deleted mnt/hd4/opt again, it rebooted. Got the barebones CFW back on and this time installed just Newk. Rebooted and it hung!!!!!!

Went in and renamed newk to "Dodgy newk". Expecting the program then couldn't run and the box will boot. It did boot, but took a little longer. Newk was still present in settings but was now titles "Dodgy Newk". It was set to off, its default is auto. I rebooted the box OK. Set Dodgy Newk to auto and again rebooted OK.

I have attached logs that were in /opt/tmp/syslog in case they shed any light.
Sorry prpr forgot to run "ps". I am happy to recreate the problem and run it if you think its of any help. I can't run it when the system hangs, but could run it after the hang and after renaming the Newk folder, if that helps at all.

Attachments

• 320 second newk only install.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 320 first lots of pkgs.zip
    6.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Got a sort of answer.
The two HDRs I wiped the HDDs are still booting.
I played with the last one that still hung at boot. Keeping only the partition with the CFW with only newk installed intact, I started deleting all the files and folders on the other partitions, one partition at a time, then checked if it booted. I discovered that when I deleted the contents of hd1
lost+found
fix.disk.log
reserve.info
reserve_pre_hk.info
the HDR booted.

Stupidly I didn't copy the files before deleting them!!! Sorry.
IF it ever happens again I know where to go to make it boot again without having to copy 400+GB of TV off first.

Back