ITV break up recording/playback

tonyq

Hi all,
When we have recorded a ITV Program using a Humax HDR-Fox-T2 (Freeview), the picture is breaking up, and is virtually unwatchable on playback. All the other stations are recording/playing back o.k. Not sure if it is the recording or the playback that is causing the problem
Anyone else having this problem with ITV ?
Help Please.

How many recordings, and over what time period do these show up?
If it were a particular Mux (on a particular 'channel' ) then you'd expect it to show on other channels on that Mux, and it would be localised - so which transmitter are you receiving from?
If it were a playback problem, then you'd expect it to manifest over all the recordings around that period.

Derek

I think the break up of recordings started about a week ago, but not sure.
I would guess at about 6 recordings, usually the "Soaps" plus others, so may be more.
The transmitter I'm receiving my programs from is Cop Hill transmitter in the Yorkshire TV region. It's a relay transmitter and it's part of the Emley Moor transmitter group

Things slip sometimes, try a retune. Use the manual tune instructions HERE (click), and note that your recording schedule will be deleted (so make a note). If you are using the custom firmware, the schedule gets backed up daily and can be restored from there.

Hi all,
I have been informed by the wife (Who does most of the recording) that the problem as been going on for a few weeks, not one week as I stated.

Black Hole
I have done a auto retune a couple of days ago to no avail, but will do a manual retune.

OK, no need for another retune if you look at the transmitter information (see the manual tune link) and check you really are tuned to the correct multiplexes. Bring up the offending channel (ITV1), press OK and you will see a channel list appear at the left of the screen. ITV1 will be highlighted and have a green dot by it (current channel). Press "i" and an information panel pops up giving the broadcast information for that channel so you can check it is correct. Check also that you do not have any servces allocated to 800, 801 etc.

The next thing to do is check signal strength and quality: Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection

Black Hole,
sorry to be a pain, cannot seem to be able to get my head around this, can I go straight to "Manual Tuning" to find the offending channel (ITV1)

You said you've done an "automatic search"-type retune, so you have refreshed the tuning but had no improvement (which has cured this sort of thing in the past). I am therefore trying to diagnose where the problem is.

The first thing I wrote about above was to have a look at the transmitter web site to see what channel numbers you should be receiving the multiplexes on (typically in the range 23 to 69 if I remember correctly), these correspond with the old analogue channels. You should have 5 or 6 listed for your address, and you might be presented with alternative transmitters with different selections of channels.

Each of these channels carries about 10 DTV services (or 4 HiDef services), radio services, and data services. One of them will include ITV1. If you are getting poor reception on ITV1 you should be getting poor reception on the other services carried in the same multiplex. Note down the channel numbers relevant to your transmitter (I keep mine in the back of my diary) and note that they might be scheduled to change over the next year or so. If there is any doubt about which transmitter you should be receiving from, have a look which way your aerial is pointing.

Now press the "OK" button to bring up the service list, move the cursor to highlight ITV1 (which it will be already if you are currently viewing ITV1), then press the "i" button to get information for that service. It will tell you which multiplex (channel) it is being received on, and you can check whether that matches the list you noted. If not you should carry out a full manual retune as per the instructions.

If it does match, and you are still having trouble, the next possibility is that you have a connection problem. Use Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection, select the correct multiplex channel, and see what signal strength and quality are reported. I have never seen quality less than 100% if the signal it better than 40%, I got some funnies when it dropped to 10%. Any loss of signal should affect all the services on that multiplex.

Supposing you do all this and still not find a problem, I propose that there is something going on with your Humax and actually all services are affected, but the majority of your viewing/recording is ITV1 so you haven't noticed it on other services.

Instructions for manual tuning and link to transmitter information HERE (click).

OK, well the allocation of services to multiplexes is shown HERE (click), and ITV1 is on mux D3&4 so that's Channel 22. Does the OK >> i panel confirm 22? It wouldn't surprise me overly if it turned out to be bleed from Emley Moor on Channel 44.

If you really are getting your TV from Cop Hill then yes, you only have three of the six multiplexes, no access to HiDef and no access to OTA firmware updates (which are on the BBC B mux),* and minus quite a few other services (ITV3 etc). You might want to consider whether an aerial rejig will get you Emley Moor - it's group B horizontal rather than group A vertical, but in analogue days you possibly had no reason not to get your TV from Cop Hill.

There is also a chance that your aerial actually points at Emley Moor, and you are tuned to a bleed from Cop Hill.

You need to confirm whether you are receiving 25/22/28, what the signal strengths are, and eyeball your aerial to see whether it is pointing more-or-less north with vertical elements. Report your observations having carried out the checks I suggested in this post and post #9.

* My mis-reading, see post #14.

I can confirm that aerial does point to Cop Hill not Emley Moor, as we live in a valley the signal is bounced from Emley Moor as far as I know. Due to the hills.

If you really are getting your TV from Cop Hill then yes, you only have three of the six multiplexes, no access to HiDef and no access to OTA firmware updates (which are on the BBC B mux), and minus quite a few other services (ITV3 etc). You might want to consider whether an aerial rejig will get you Emley Moor - it's group B horizontal rather than group A vertical, but in analogue days you possibly had no reason not to get your TV from Cop Hill.

The relay at Oxenhope (also on Emley Moor group) has muxes BBCA, D3&4, and BBCB (HD multiplex). Isn't this standard?

Rogerh

Sorry, my mistake - I presumed that having only three muxes would mean no HiDef, but of course that's not it at all.

Update,
I have manually tuned channel 22, and so far ITV 1 looks to be recording O.K.
Signal Strength 82%
Quality 100%

I will see how it goes and report back, thank you all for the input so far.

Back