ITV Hub (is a bit meh)

MikeSh

To put it mildly.

The last episode of Van der Valk on Sunday failed to record on our freesat box. So, as with another ITV thing a few weeks ago (Good Karma Hospital) we were forced on to the catch-up service.
However, although I did persist with GKH I left SWMBO to watch it alone. SD quality, watching all the adverts and NO SUBTITLES made spending 2 hours watching a mediocre detective be ... clever (?) not nearly appetising enough.

Anybody else not get that recording? (Another Boris/Covid side effect?)

Anybody know if there are subtitles on ITV Hub but buried in a very dark and remote corner?

You should get a big 'S' in the play controls to toggle on/off (I've just confirmed it's there for VdV Ep1) - although it doesn't appear during the adverts.

youtube-dl is a good way of avoiding the compulsory adverts, plus will download subtitles (when available)

Still can't quite believe the lack of HD - I can live with that for most things but sports coverage is a bit crap.

I too had the failed to record (South HDR) - it is on again Friday night (if you can wait that long !)
Thanks for that.
I did wonder about looking for a repeat, but SWMBO was already slumped in watching mode, so I left her to it.
It was one of not very many programmes we both watch, but having seen the first two (maverick copper with assorted oddments of a team whom he never tells what's going on in his troubled mind) I'm not bothered. I'll ask her if she wants to see it again and if so I might make the effort.

(Is it just me, but at present there are only about 3 programmes a week that are preferable to staring at the wall? Even Netflix is looking barren now I've finished the latest series of things like After Life.)

Last edited:
You should get a big 'S' in the play controls to toggle on/off (I've just confirmed it's there for VdV Ep1) - although it doesn't appear during the adverts.
The only play controls on screen were play/pause. I spent some time looking and even went to the Settings menu.
The website says subtitles are device dependent, which seems fricking strange. Looking at the list I'm not certain, but I think our TV may not be covered.
I curse iPlayer at times, but it's gold compared to the ITV one.

If it fails again I'll consider it a judgement from on high :)
Talking Pictures TV's website has a picture on it which declares their judgement on the new version. A picture of the late Barry Foster at a bar with a drink - captioned "There is only one Van der Valk". (They are showing the original series 9pm Fridays). Pity ITV didn't pick a different name for the detective. The series was OK, but calling it VdV invites comparison with the original.

Recorded the repeat (VdV), watched the repeat, found the last few minutes missing :mad:
ITV seem to use their flags to ensure you get the adverts at the start, but as a consequence the recording often stops during the end titles, which is not really a problem. But this was very annoying and I had to resort to the Hub again to get the last little bit (still no subtitles).

Pity ITV didn't pick a different name for the detective.
I rather agree. I didn't watch the original series but this clearly got people's expectations up, which is always risky.

More like a salvation, I'd say...
I think it was better than the other two. At least we found out a bit of background to him and his boss's past and relationship - though who Annette was is left for the next series.
Amsterdam is a nice location and it passed a bit of time without being awful anyway.

Could that be Arlette Van der Valk, his wife in the series currently being shown elsewhere? Probably thrown out the car and killed in the flashback.
That's the original series presumably. In that case, very likely.
I wasn't sure about her name as that was in the section watched on the Hub with no subtitles - which was everything after
Cloovers shot the baddy.
But for those who never saw the original it's just a loose end.

Back