ITV X

MikeSh

Just tried using it to watch a series I really want. It's so bad I've given up and bought a DVD set of the series from Amazon.
I've used Netflix, Prime, Disney+, All4, iPlayer and while they all have some issues this is absolutely awful - at least on my TV.
Anyone else used it? Or tried to?

I have used it occasionally on my Chromecast dongle and can't say it is any worse than say All4, NowTV, Prime, Discovery+ or any of the other commercial catch up services, BBC iPlayer is far and away more of a pleasure to use simply because you don't have to keep pressing the Mute button when the non-skippable ads come on.

One tip is to minimise use of the clunky on screen user interfaces by finding and queuing up what you want to watch on the mobile phone app instead then just navigate on screen to the Watch/My List or Favourites or whatever it is called for the app in question.

Last edited:
finding and queuing up what you want to watch
It was only one series. It was a bit of a pain starting each episode as the whole thing was very slow to react/load, but it was while watching that it got horrendous. It froze at the ad breaks, then by a certain amount of poking buttons it decided to start again - having not shown any ads - but with the subtitles hopelessly out of sync.

Got the DVDs yesterday and re-watched the two episodes that ITVX had mushed for me. So much better.

Have to admit I was getting freezing at the ad breaks last night but a simple Pause/Play kicked it back into action.

Unless you are prepared to be more helpful and explain how I will continue to assume you are being a fantasist.

Oh, I see... I thought I must be missing something, then I spotted the jump in post numbers.

I presumed that "skippable ads" was a reference to immediate replays not usually having ads.

On a PC, using a browser for ITVx, you can just let the programme play to the end and then restart and the replay will show the ad points in its timeline but skip them. Obviously the elapsed time for the setup could be a pain to some. Additionally the browser version of ITVx will freeze the initial progression of the adverts unless they are actively being displayed; i.e. the browser has to be visible.

On a BT TV Box Pro replays will include the adverts if you play to the end or totally rewind to the beginning. I.e. It's a bit more fiddly using the BT TV Box Pro app than using a browser on a PC to avoid watching adverts.

I though they had blocked the skip to the end to play all the ads at once while you do something else with your life route? I will give that another go.

Is this your nice way to entice me to tell you how to do it? Damn....
I suspect it is just his way of showing that he shares the common belief that you are a bit of a dick. For someone that so frequently asks for help here that could have been your chance to give something back but instead you give nothing but a rod for your own back.

I though they had blocked the skip to the end to play all the ads at once while you do something else with your life route? I will give that another go.
I gave it a go on my BT Youview box last night and that didn't work. Will try it on my Chromecast dongle next time but I am not hopeful.

I suspect it is just his way of showing that he shares the common belief that you are a bit of a dick. For someone that so frequently asks for help here that could have been your chance to give something back but instead you give nothing but a rod for your own back.
This is another wonderful and caring intercession. It really tugs at my heart strings. I will help you.

Back