I've messed up. Can anyone help?

komutt

Hi All,

Firstly apologies if there is a soloution to my problem somewhere on the forum, but I have hunted for over an hour and still no further forward.

Any help / explanation would be appreciated. I managed to download the new software and even the web interface using the network ip address 192 xx xx etc Everything was working fine. I put the box onto my sky id. The only problem was trying to watch on demand channels, An error 0701 came up I think. Bit of a bummer but atleast I could get the live channels.

I admit I was playing about with my new toy :) I dont know what Ive done, but I could even get onto any portal. When I tried connecting through the IP address nothing was happening, it was just bringing up a search engine.

What I've tried so far to resolve. Bearing on mind that the PC & the Hummy aren't talking but both are connected ok to the the home network. I went back to basics, re installed the box back to factory settings , re-installed th orginal/official humax upgrade, then I installed the hummy firmware both went on with no problems. I was hoping this would give me access the my IP address again but it didnt.

Could anybody out there help me out? Thanks very much

If you are using DHCP ( Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN >> Configure IP ), it is possible the Humax will be allocated a different IP address by your router each time it boots. DHCP means the Humax requests an IP address when it boots from the central network controller - most likely your router.

As a quick fix (on the same menu page) check the current IP address and use that. As a second quick fix change "DHCP" to "Manual", and then the Humax will keep using the current IP address without asking. In the longer term you have to configure your router to ensure it doesn't hand out that address to anything else (you may need to move to one of the addresses from the fixed pool), or (my preferred method) put the Humax back to DHCP and fix its allocation at the router.

If you are using DHCP ( Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN >> Configure IP ), it is possible the Humax will be allocated a different IP address by your router each time it boots. DHCP means the Humax requests an IP address when it boots from the central network controller - most likely your router.

As a quick fix (on the same menu page) check the current IP address and use that. As a second quick fix change "DHCP" to "Manual", and then the Humax will keep using the current IP address without asking. In the longer term you have to configure your router to ensure it doesn't hand out that address to anything out (you may need to move to one of the addresses from the fixed pool), or (my preferred method) put the Humax back to DHCP and fix its allocation at the router.
Hello again mate. I've not posted on a forum before, so not sure if you got my previous blurb? Anyhow I decided to resinstall factory settings again and then reinstalled humax and customised firm ware. This time it did give me a differrent ip address, but when I typed it in to the toolbar, it warned me not to connect, I ignored ofcourse and then it took me into my router settings. Within the devices listed none had the mac address of my humax as being detected at all.

I'm starting to get annoyed with it now ;-) . It worked one minute and nadda the next. I've spent the last three evenings devoted to trying to get this sorted, (moan over)but I'll keep hammering away at it and hopefully get there. Any ideas on what could be going wrong please let me know.

This time it did give me a differrent ip address, but when I typed it in to the toolbar, it warned me not to connect, I ignored ofcourse and then it took me into my router settings.
That sounds as though the IP address you typed into the browser was the gateway address which on a home network will be your router. The IP address you want is the one labelled "IP address".

Hi martin thanks for the post. It is deffo the IP address in the lan config screen in humax. I managed to identify the box from the router manager. So its showing as connected. I just cant get into the custom firmware manager page like i could originally, which is stopping me from loading the custom portal.

One thing you can do to force a connection to the Humax is a direct link (no router). Stick a Cat5* between the Humax Ethernet socket and the PC, assign a manual IP address at the Humax end, then type that into the browser address bar. If that works you know where the problem is.

* It doesn't matter whether the Cat5 is crossed or straight, modern Ethernet adapters auto-detect.

Idea: I wonder if this is a subnet problem? The typical addresses on a home network starts 192.168.x.y, where x is 0 or 1 and y is some lowish number >0. We have come across situations where the PC is allocated x=0 and the Humax ends up on x=1, something to do with the WiFi network not being allowed to talk to the fixed network.

You've not given us any actual data. The more you can write down about the actual configuration the more likely we are to be able to spot the problem. What are the IP addresses listed on the Humax configuration screen? What is the PC's IP address (open a command window and type "ipconfig")? Anything you can tell us about the router's address tables?

Hiya black hole. Thanks for your further suggestions. Excuse the ignorance, but is a cat5 cable jst an Ethernet cable?

Is it safe to post any data publicly? Ie ip address etc? If it is you can have anything u think would help.

It's jst funny how it worked initially, I had access on my PC to the interface, I downloaded a couple of program's there all at once, then reset the box, with all the updates in one go, the day after it stopped working. Do u think those downloads could have anything to do with it? Cheers guys

Yes, Cat5 is the "normal" sort of patch lead in a home/office environment for 10/100Base-T Ethernet (you can tell by the 8-way RJ45 connector), and in any case it's what you've got connecting the Humax to the HomePlug.

There is absolutely no harm you can come to by telling us your home network IP addresses, they are only accessible on your home network. Your router presents a different IP address (allocated by your ISP) to the outside world, and anything inside accessing the outside has to ask the router to fetch it, the router then puts out the request and any reply then gets passed on to the originating device. Even if we knew your external address, the chances of hacking through the router onto your local network are minimal.

Just tell us everything you can think of, to see if anybody can spot the problem.

Hello again, Whilst I was away there I put it back to factory settings again, I needed to try one more time. that didn't work. Each time I download a fresh file for the customer firmware etc. I do remember to rename it etc. I go through it methodically, but that is about my limit, I suppose thats why I put so much hope in it :)

Hummy ip = 192.168.1.67
Security typre: WPA2-psk(TKIP+AES)

(from "ipconfig") PC IP: (it says IPv4) 192.168.1.68

Anything else just ask away.

ps initially i could access the hummy through my iphone: 192.168.1.71 and my ipad 192.168.1.73 and I tried it with an old laptop earlier too, but it takes too long to boot to get the ip. but none of them connect onto that interface

What's security type got to do with it? You must be using a WiFi dongle. I had it in my head you were on a HomePlug. Can you connect to the router by physical wire, even if only temporarily?

I dunno I just thought i would give you anything Ithought would be relevant. When i get home from work tonight i can, re position the router and see what happens. I will update later. Thanks again for your help...

Are you using WiFi or not? Looking back through your posts I can't spot anywhere you describe your network connection.

A complete transcript of the Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN page would be a good start. The WiFi settings wouldn't be active on the menus unless there was a WiFi dongle plugged in and detected, so it look suspiciously like we're talking a wireless link here. Please confirm, no need to be reticent.

Hi guys,

Right here ges with the info both of you are asking for:

I'm on a BT HomeHub 2.0 NG6t
The PC ip address = 192.168.1.68
Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
Default gateway = 192.168.1.254

STB IP address = 192.168.1.66
Netmask = 255.255.255.0
Gateway address = 192.168.1.254
The DNS address is the same as the gateway address.

I use the humax dongle to connect normally, I took the router upstairs and connected it directly to the box, tried typing the box's IP address into the toolbar but again nothing.

I have also connected the PC directy to the box using the cat5 cable and again got noaccess to the custom portal interface.

This may be of some interest/relevance, I have clicked on everything connected within the settings>home network section of the bt home hub manager and here it shows a wireless connection using the same IP address as the hummy butthe MAC address does not match up with what is sbowing in the hub manager = 80:1f:02:07:b4:5c to the one displayed within the hummy settings 00:03:78:B8:dc:53? Would tha be usual?

Speak to you's soon/. Thanks

PS. Blackhole. I just noticed the no need to be reticent comment :) To be honest I did have to look up the definition. and yes I suppose I can be, but I really want to get on top of this, so I want you to know i'm not deliberately holding anything back talking to you. I just dont know what to give. I picking up along the way though e.g 1st time in the BT homehub manager without bt support on the phone :) But I am grateful to you a Martin for your generous input.

I use Wifi for the Webif but due to speed use cable when transferring programmes off the HDR.
To get the cable working I have to do the following:-
Turn the HDR off at the power switch.
Unplug the wifi dongle.
Plug the cable into my laptop, the other end stays in the HDR.
Turn on the HDR and use the Internet menu to manually setup an IP address.
Setup the laptop to use an IP in the same range, remember DHCP is not working in this situation.
I then check that the connection is working by going into a command line window on the laptop and pinging the IP of the HDR.
If you aren't sure how to do this on the laptop do the following
Start | run then cmd and enter.
Then. Ping 192.168.1.xx where xx is the HDR.

To go back to wifi, turn the HDR off again, plug the dongle back in and power back up. The HDR will automatically get an IP from your router.

Back