Just wondering if I bought the wrong box......!

Thesmurf

Hi,

This may sound a bit strange but..

I bought an icecrypt t2400 yesterday, foolishly thinking that it might be a bit like my beloved toppy tf5800.

Truth is I think I may have made a mistake, especially as I thought, like the toppy, I might find a community that supported it with third party "taps".

It would seem however that is actually more likely to be true of the fox t2!

So my question is, have I bought the wrong box?

Any constructive advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum. There are quite a number of current/ex Toppy owners on this forum, myself included. I'm pretty sure that most of them will recommend the HDR-FOX T2 running customised firmware, as the best replacement/companion for the Toppy.

Could you return your Icecrypt box, and replace it with the Humax?

Thanks for the swift response and thanks for the welcome.

Is the t2400 really that bad! Is there no possibility of third party apps to correct its shortcomings?

I only ask as, whilst I have no real attachment to it, it's going to be a real pain to take back just because I don't like it!

Maybe I should have done a bit more research first!

I know nothing about the Icecrypt box, other than having read a couple of early reviews online, and they were mostly negative.

Thanks for the swift response and thanks for the welcome.

Is the t2400 really that bad! Is there no possibility of third party apps to correct its shortcomings?

I only ask as, whilst I have no real attachment to it, it's going to be a real pain to take back just because I don't like it!

Maybe I should have done a bit more research first!

You could try saying it's for a bedroom and the fan is too noisy? It'll be hard to prove the noise in a shop and not something you could have checked for before you bought it? Otherwise if you got it online you have 7 days to return it with no reason required (I think - I'm sure I read something about consumer rights in a paper this week).

Yes, distance selling regulations allow for all purchases mail order / on-line to be on 7 day approval, but not necessarily with free delivery & return (check the retailers T&Cs).

You're obviously going to get biased answers here but I can honestly say I dont know of a better freeview PVR than the HDR Fox T2.

I'm a propper gadget geek - always looking for a reason to buy something better (why wont my 4 year old TV break!?!? :rolleyes: ) but I can honestly say, hand on heart, that if my HDR Fox T2 stopped working tomorrow I would go straight out and by a new one (a refurb one from humaxdirect is only 130 quid).

Only thing I am disapointed in about the hummy is the lack of ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 catch up services - makes me want to see a Youview box on the side...

...I'm a propper gadget geek - always looking for a reason to buy something better (why wont my 4 year old TV break!?!? :rolleyes: ) but I can honestly say, hand on heart, that if my HDR Fox T2 stopped working tomorrow I would go straight out and by a new one (a refurb one from humaxdirect is only 130 quid)....

I completely agree. Only I didn't wait until my HDR died! Only this week I bought a brand new one (don't want to pick-up second hand or refurbished). Paid £180 from Amazon.

It seems a bit weird really. I got it out of its box and generally made sure it was OK. Tuned it in, installed the CF. Then put it back in its box. The intention is to use it as a spare as I already use a HDR and a Topfield 5810. SWMBO has 'loads' of programmes recorded on the Toppy. If/when the Toppy fails I shall dust off the new HDR.

Back