Keep disc drive spinning while on standby without recording

Tech Nerd

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know of a way to keep the external hdd spinning while the unit is on standby.
I know this is possible by recording something, but I want to do it without recording.
Is there a way of tricking the box into thinking it's recording or otherwise to achieve this.

For the HDR-FOX (with an internal HDD) there is a fault mode we call "delinquent half-awake" (see Things Every... section 18), but the HD-FOX does not have that issue. Once either box reaches the standby state the USB 5V power is turned off.

An alternative might be to route the USB through a powered hub and leave the hub turned on, but why turn the HD-FOX off at all?

If you explain what you are trying to achieve, we might be able to suggest a way forward.

I want the disc drive to be still spinning, because I want to access the Web-IF while the HD-FOX is on standby.
I want to access the Web-IF while on standby because the HD-FOX crashes if left on for too long
I wanted the HD-FOX on all the time so that the HDD keeps spinning all the time, in order to increase the HDD lifespan (I know there's a bit of a debate whether this shortens the life or extends it).
But since the HD-FOX overheats and crashes whenever left on for too long, I want to keep the HDD spinning while the HD-FOX is off.
P.S. Recently, I’m pretty sure that my HD-FOX was in the "delinquent half-awake" state* for a few days. This is when I realised that it should be possible.
*The HD-FOX wasn't recording, was on standby but the HDD was spinning and I could access the Web-IF. The HD-FOX returned to normal standby when turned on and off.

I want the disc drive to be still spinning, because I want to access the Web-IF while the HD-FOX is on standby.
Even with the HDD powered, how do you imagine you will be able to access WebIF wthout the web server* running? It makes no difference whether the unit is in standby or crashed, WebIF won't be running. Sorry, you're on a loser there, and I'm not impressed by your chosen forum name.

* or the file system, or the network stack, or the Ethernet hardware...

If this is a CF discussion, it should be in the CF section of the forum (it now is).

Recently, I’m pretty sure that my HD-FOX was in the "delinquent half-awake" state* for a few days. This is when I realised that it should be possible.
That is indeed Delinquent Half-Awake, and it's not standby (ie the processor is still running) so it would still be subject to crashing.

the HD-FOX crashes if left on for too long
Have you cleaned it out (ie got rid of the accumulated dust which will prevent the unit cooling by convection)? Another thing which might cause it to crash (although I have never known a HD-FOX do this, I see no reason it couldn't) is malformed network traffic. See if it still crashes with the network cable unplugged.

Last edited:
But since the HD-FOX overheats
I have an 80mm Fan placed on top of each of my HD-Fox T2 boxes.

They are USB powered, and have an inline switch offering 3 speeds plus off. I find that the lowest speed is sufficient to keep the temperature of the casing cool to the touch.

Mine has been perfectly OK without an external fan (it's running continuously).

The HDs are most reliable for long term operation without reboots.
In our experience, yes, but we can't discount the possibility that the OP's isn't - either as a bad one, or because his is so fluffed up that it can't keep cool enough.

What I'm curious about is why mine hardly ever crashes despite being on the same network in the same conditions as my HDR-FOXes. One would think the network stack is implemented the same.

They do run warm to the touch over the power supply, and the OP mentions overheating, so this may help him.

Mine is reading 32°C in a room temperature of 20°C – not warm enough to worry about unless there is an overlying problem.

Back