kinda stupid question regarding firmware choices...

You are forgetting the Humax operational stuff entirely resides in the non-volatile solid state memory.

Hint: enclose your code dump in [code]..[/code] tags.

even with the hdisk formated?
I don't know enough about the Custom Firmware to say what resides in flash and what resides on the hard disk, af123 would have to comment. the package installs this new file :- -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 627968 Jan 21 2014 rt3070sta.ko and this script :-
Code:
humax# cat xinit.d/rt3070
#!/bin/sh

mount --bind \
        /var/lib/humaxtv_backup/mod/rt3070sta.ko \
        /lib/modules/rt3070sta.ko

Ezra mentioning rt3070 got me wondering. Last year (I think) Edimax produced a batch of the EW-7711UAN dongle that did not work with the HDR-FOX. A replacement driver was created (the custom firmware package to install this is rt3070, version 1.0). I don't think this driver fixed that problem but it did update the vendor list which would allow newer dongles from different manufacturers, but using the same chipset, to work with the Humax. Later batches of the Edimax dongle do work with the standard driver. Most users won't need to install the rt3070 package. The first build of version 3.00 of the CFW made the HDR-FOX freeze when using a wireless dongle: this was fixed in a later build (build 2137). The rt3070 package predates the latest version of the CFW and I am wondering if this package is not compatible with IP tables? I could be wrong, but you probably don't need the rt3070 package anyway so I would try uninstalling it, if you have it installed currently.

Thanks!! it's now working soley on wifi

thanks, I knew the firmware was flashed but didn't know the extensions were also

as to the ubb tags, yeah I should have done that :)

Well ... I can't actually put my finger on anything

My expectation was that a firmware flash would reset the non-volatile contents.

I reinstalled and removed the drivers from the package management...

I telneted in and did some random cd and ls commands trying to find the remains of the driver.. could only find RT2870STA/

plugged in the dongle expecting it crash, which it did - pulled out the ethernet cable and restarted.... no crash

I think it is possible that when you installed rt3070 previously that something was left behind, the rt3070_1.0 package does not seem to have an rt3070_1.0_mipsel/CONTROL/prerm file which would be used to un-install the package
The prerm script isn't required to remove the package, it's just for any additional actions that need to be taken prior to removal.
I would recommend flashing with the system-flush update from the wiki - that will completely remove anything left over from previous installations, including the updated rt3070 which is probably causing your issue.

I finally got it working with random loading and unloading of that driver and some half arsed linux browsing via telnet...

no idea how, why or what - but I'm not going to question it.

Thanks though to everyone that helped me track it down

I can confirm that if you install the rt3070 package with CFW3.00 and reboot, the HDR-FOX locks up when you plug a wireless dongle in. I presume it is an IP tables related issue.

We know the HDR still works with the HDD unplugged, so what don't you know enough about to work it out?
No-one is disputing that some of the functionality of the HDR is still working when the HDD is unplugged, however I was referring to the Custom Firmware packages

Last edited:
I can confirm that if you install the rt3070 package with CFW3.00 and reboot, the HDR-FOX locks up when you plug a wireless dongle in. I presume it is an IP tables related issue.
Thanks. I've removed it from the repository - I'm not convinced it ever improved support for more dongles anyway and it isn't good if it causes this behaviour with the latest version.

Back