Large files advice

andyq

I have a large file (HD) I want to transfer to my PC for editing. Fat 32 has a limit of 4GB. I tried installing the ntfs-3g package but it wouldn’t install. I have CF 2.21 which I’d like to stick with because of the fast EPG. I’ve had a search and would appreciate some help. From the following link.

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/using-fox-t2-recordings-with-plex-media-server.2003/#post-25775

I’m looking at method 2, so here are a couple of basic questions.

1. Installing auto unprotect, how does this work. Will I have to leave the hummy a while to run thro’ all my recordings?

2. If I use web if to decrypt the recording will it then be a simple case of using FTP to transfer to my PC?

I have a large file (HD) I want to transfer to my PC for editing. Fat 32 has a limit of 4GB. I tried installing the ntfs-3g package but it wouldn’t install. I have CF 2.21 which I’d like to stick with because of the fast EPG.
I think you are misunderstanding the inter relation between the custom firmware and the standard firmware. The slow EPG problem comes from the standard firmware version 1.03.xx. You can install the latest custom firmware with an earlier standard software version eg http://hpkg.tv/rpc/cfwget.html?file=HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.32_mod_3.03.zip and then you can install NTFS-3G

To add to the above, if you install auto-unprotect and flag the 'My Video' folder for auto-decryption (Web-If>Browse Media Files, then use the 'Opt' function), and have content share turned on (do this using the remote control handset), all your recordings will be decrypted and can then be copied by FTP. Decryption of a lot of recordings can take many hours, but to clarify, auto-unprotect on its own just removes the flag that prevents high def. recordings being decrypted on copy to USB (using the remote control handset) or on streaming by DLNA. Installing the auto-unprotect package will also unprotect all your existing recordings: this only takes a few minutes. If you then copy to USB, using the remote control, the file will be decrypted in the process.

I tried installing the ntfs-3g package but it wouldn’t install. I have CF 2.21 which I’d like to stick with because of the fast EPG.
Custom firmware versions pre-3.00 are no longer supported. Update your CF to the latest (3.something). Then you will be able to install ntfs-3g. This has no bearing on the EPG - to compare standard firmwares, see Things Every... (click) section 1.

Installing auto unprotect, how does this work.
Auto-unprotect decrypts nothing. It removes the lock which prevents HiDef recordings being decrypted (like Foxy does, but automatically). However, unlike Foxy, auto-unprotect also unlocks DLNA streaming to non-approved clients.

Method 2 (WebIF-mediated auto-decryption):
  1. Ensure content sharing is turned on (Humax settings, see note 3);
  2. For HiDef ensure auto-unprotect is installed (not necessary for StDef recordings);
  3. For any particular folder, use WebIF media browser OPT+ button "auto-decrypt" option to decrypt any present and future recordings in that folder; or
  4. For any particular folder, use WebIF media browser OPT+ button "recursive auto-decrypt" option to decrypt any present and future recordings in that folder and any sub-folders (all levels). To decrypt all of My Video set the recursive auto-decrypt flag on the My Video folder (use the path links at the top of the listing to get to Media, My Video is listed in there).
A recording is only a candidate for decryption provided the "Enc" flag is not present (see note 2) and it has been indexed (see note 3).

Note that if auto-decryption is unleashed on an HDR-FOX that has accumulated a significant volume of recordings, it will take several days to decrypt the content.
Notes
  1. These are the only known methods for obtaining decrypted recordings.
  2. auto-unprotect needs time to do its scan when first installed, and when a new recording is completed. The WebIF "Enc" icon will be removed when a file is available for decryption (this does not mean that it has been decrypted, the "Dec" icon is applied to decrypted recordings). This only applies to HiDef recordings, StDef recordings do not have the "Enc" flag. auto-unprotect does not decrypt, it only removes the protections which prevent HiDef content being decrypted or streamed, allowing HiDef to be decrypted as if they were StDef (and streamed to a DLNA client without HDCP).
  3. Content sharing is enabled on the HDR-FOX via Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = On. For all methods except Method 5, a recording only becomes available for decryption once it has been added to the DLNA index (shown in the WebIF media browser listing with a DLNA icon). This may not be resolved for some time after the recording, particularly if it has been moved from its original location, such as by flatten or sweeper. The DLNA server is critical to the custom decryption processes, and Content Share = On is the control for enabling the server (and enabling indexing).
  4. The decrypt options on the WebIF media browser are unavailable if content sharing is not on or there has not been time for indexing. The WebIF DLNA icon will be applied when a recording has been indexed.

Will I have to leave the hummy a while to run thro’ all my recordings?
Like it says above (as quoted). Turning it off won't do any harm, but decryption can only proceed while it's turned on! You don't have to decrypt everything, you could restrict decryption to specific folders or even individual recordings.

If I use web if to decrypt the recording will it then be a simple case of using FTP to transfer to my PC?
Yes, but you could consider Method 4.

Thanks guys, updated to 2.32 mod 3.03. successfully decrypted and transferred a SD file which played on WMP. Did the same for a large HD file and FTP commander 8.02 couldn't transfer it. In the file size column rather than the size it said `root'. Also on the box it had created an original folder which didn't happen on the SD file.

any idea why i can't FTP either file? or any suggestions please. i thought i was on the home strait after decrypting.

Hard to tell from this distance. Try installing betafptd (and it will then be necessary to turn off the standard FTP server).

For downloading to PC, you would be better off with Method 4 - no need to decrypt as a separate operation, and no need to leave the WebIF for an FTP session. The downside is that unless you decrypt first the download does not have the right file name. You can still download via the WebIF, even after decryption.

Last edited:
Managed both method 2 and 4. Big problem, no sound on HD recordings and it's a HD recording I'm trying to get to my PC. Even tried a small HD file thro the USB stick with the same result, no sound. Am I flogging a dead horse trying to download HD files?

Managed both method 2 and 4. Big problem, no sound on HD recordings and it's a HD recording I'm trying to get to my PC. Even tried a small HD file thro the USB stick with the same result, no sound. Am I flogging a dead horse trying to download HD files?

The lack of sound is down to a missing audio codec on your PC. HD channels use AAC audio. Try downloading the free version of Splash Lite from Myrillis

The lack of sound is down to a missing audio codec on your PC. HD channels use AAC audio. Try downloading the free version of Splash Lite from Myrillis

Or download and install VLC and play the HD recording in that, VLC has many more audio and video codecs all built in than crappy Windows Media Player.

Back