Larger Internal Hard Disk

mlsred

Hi ,

I have done some searching around and can see it is possible to put a larger hard disk into the HDR box. Some of the info is a couple of years old and I wondered if there was a more recent guide?

Looks like there were issues with drives larger that 1TB but not sure if that is the case? It also looks like some drives are preferrable to others e.g. quieter, don't run too hot etc..

Does a good guide exist that covers these questions and the installation process or can anyone provide this info?

I would prefer an internal drive and ideally 2TB?

Thanks
Michael

Hi mlsred,
I recently upgraded my HDD. I considered a 2TB drive but went for a 1TB. I had heard that the Foxsat can be slower to scan through drives bigger than 1TB (so you have to wait longer for your media menu to load up). It's something worth considering.

There is a helpful YouTube series of videos that walk you through the process here. One issue I came across was the 'new' Advanced Format sector layout on a lot of current HDDs. There are reports that the Advanced Format does work with the Foxsat HDR, but to be sure I decided to avoid it. After a lot more research than I had bargained for I went with a Western Digital WD10EVDS.

The installation process was very easy and its working great.

Best of luck

The Foxsat-hdr will work with drives larger than 1TB but you have to partition and format the drive yourself. For a 1TB drive the box does it for you. As noted above because of the huge number of files you can fit on it after pressing media it can take a little while to read the data. It's not down to the larger drive, simply the number of files. In any case you can use a second 1TB drive as the usb archive, if you get two let the hdr format both for you. Fit the second drive in a sata cradle on the rear usb and copy content to it. You can replay content directly from the archive drive. You can also use the original 320GB drive in the same cradle and replay directly from it

Hi Both,

Thanks very much for your feedback/comments and great video. I have been very slow on the uptake of this but wanted to get a larger disk now. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the WD10EVDS is still being sold? Is there an alternative?

Cheers
M

Hi Both,

Thanks very much for your feedback/comments and great video. I have been very slow on the uptake of this but wanted to get a larger disk now. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the WD10EVDS is still being sold? Is there an alternative?

Cheers
M
The WD10EVDS seems to be readily available, a quick Google search brings up numerous suppliers including this one for £46.68 from Scan.

Hi ,

I have done some searching around and can see it is possible to put a larger hard disk into the HDR box. Some of the info is a couple of years old and I wondered if there was a more recent guide?

Looks like there were issues with drives larger that 1TB but not sure if that is the case? It also looks like some drives are preferrable to others e.g. quieter, don't run too hot etc..

Does a good guide exist that covers these questions and the installation process or can anyone provide this info?

I would prefer an internal drive and ideally 2TB?

Thanks
Michael
Go for the wd10evds thats what i used a couple of years ago and its been perfect. It will take more than 1TB but you will have to format it yourself. Don't worry about installing it because its very easy and only takes about ten-fifteen minutes. I have heard of people having problems with drives larger than 1TB also. Maybe the fact that the 1TB formats automatically speaks for itself. ( Although you do have to format the hdd again when its finished so you can set the partition) good luck.

I don't have a FoxSAT, but do have an Humax HDR-FoxT2 and a Topfield 5810 PVR. I have fitted the WD 10EVDS in both machines months ago and both have performed faultlessly. (He says tempting fate, lol).

Thanks for this. I would like to do something similar. Am I limited to that particular drive (I suppose any IDE drive I can get) or would I be better off with an adapter? Is an adapter fast enough??

Thanks for this. I would like to do something similar. Am I limited to that particular drive (I suppose any IDE drive I can get) or would I be better off with an adapter? Is an adapter fast enough??
This wasn't the only drive i could have used, but at the time was the recommended one as it had given no problems to anybody (1 TB)
Personally i would stick with the evds as it's flawless, easy to put in, and once in it's job done no more messing around. I have also heard of people having problems with adapters, so i would stick to the tried and tested route.

Back