Latest firmware is no cure for HDMI bug

Chris Green

Seeing 'HDMI improvements' listed in the description of the latest firmware upgrade got me all excited. I should know better really shouldn't I?.

Three days down the line I'm still getting calls from the lounge along the lines of "I'm getting no sound from the Humax - I thought you said they'd fixed this".

My TV is a Panasonic 37" plasma (TH-37PX80) about 2 years old and I'm not using the 'special' HDMI link for it - I reserve that for my Panasonic Blu-Ray.

It does however seem that turning things on in the right order helps.

When I ask my wife what it is she's just done, it's usually to switch the AV channel to 'Humax' and then turn the Humax box on.

It would appear that making sure the TV is either not on first, or switched to something else before the Humax is turned on is the way to do it.

Of course, we shouldn't be having to mess around like this.

So no, Mr Humax, you haven't cured everyone's HDMI bugs.

Yep, my HDMI issues haven't been solved either. My problem is when I'm switching from the PS3 to the Humax HDMI inputs. I think this only happens when its recording. All I get is a reduced colour picture that's mostly green. The only way of sorting it is to switch off (by the plug) the Humax and the telly, and, as you say, bring them back up in order -Humax first, then TV. Mine is a Philips TV - hardly a rarity!

I'll be looking at this when I can get it running, currently my problem is that I sometimes have to turn the amp off the humax and back on to it again to get a signal. The last full version seemed OK but the beta I currently use has the occasional problem. I just put that down to beta software.

Yep, my HDMI issues haven't been solved either. My problem is when I'm switching from the PS3 to the Humax HDMI inputs. I think this only happens when its recording. All I get is a reduced colour picture that's mostly green. The only way of sorting it is to switch off (by the plug) the Humax and the telly, and, as you say, bring them back up in order -Humax first, then TV. Mine is a Philips TV - hardly a rarity!

This latest issue has completely resolved the 'switching order' problems between my HD and a ViewSonic TV. I am more than happy!:)

My Sony Bravia screen take a good 10-15 seconds to sync with the box - after flashing - out of sync range a few times, and a display of various colours on the screen it finally gets a picture up - no issues with audio. You would have thought that implimenting what is a well known and recoginised set of specifications (i.e. HDMI) would not be too dificult for a company that designs STB's would you...... (again unless there is a hardware issue)

I don't know the HDMI spec or have even ever looked at it, but as an engineer I know that "specifications" frequently leave a great deal to be desired. Often there is some aspect where the wording can be interpreted two ways, for example, or where knowledge has been assumed rather than spelled out. I can't say that it has happened in this case, but it wouldn't surprise me if every manufacturer had his own version of the HDMI "standard".

My Sharp TV was very flaky over HDMI with a Toshiba PVR needed a special key sequence on the remote to display but works spot on with the T2 :)

I am not trying to gloat, or troll, or whatever, but just commenting in the interests of "balance"

I have a 720 "HD Ready" TV:- a Philips 26pfl5403d 26in LCD TV, about 2 years old. Prior to firmware v7, I never had any HDMI problems with the Humax. Then from v7 it would often just report "no signal" on the TV, only fixable by hard power off of the HDR (not practical if the Hummy was recording) OR by un/re-connecting the HDMI lead (huge PITA...). I did email a detailed report to Humax, although they never replied.

Now, with v20 firmware the problems do seem to be fixed for me. But I do acknowledge that clearly they still exist for some equipment, and I do "feel your pain".

Just my ha'porth.

Back