Latest news on software update...

'mythical' new box
It's listed on the BBC website as having iPlayer support so even if if it never reaches market, that suggest it does, or did, exist.

1768937566462.png

Strange how this coincides with the shutdown of the other site and the supposed link with Humax Towers.
I'm still wondering why my post of eight years ago on myhumax.org got removed concerning querying the ownership of myhumax.org after it was registered through a third party. I did receive a PM from Barry saying it was no longer Sont but no more specific details, although he did make it sound as though something was imminent.
 
I did receive a PM from Barry saying it was no longer Sont but no more specific details, although he did make it sound as though something was imminent.
I don't believe that's true. Do your own research in to Blu Sas and see what you discover (it's referred to on the FAQ page, and a reference was also on the Welcome email sent on registering).
 
Be patient, I know that some people struggle with this when things take longer than expected, but that is not going to make them appear any sooner.
Always the optimistic one, but hopefully you will believe it when it all turns out to be a crock of :poop: :rolleyes:
 
How about this as a possibility. The new Aura EZ (FHR-6000T) is going to replace the old Aura, iPlayer certification proves its existence.

Name change due to box style change (I never liked the 5000T design).

New firmware will either be the same (old Aura gets Freely), can’t see that but you never know. More likely it will be the same but with Freely removed.
 
How about this as a possibility. The new Aura EZ (FHR-6000T) is going to replace the old Aura, iPlayer certification proves its existence.

Name change due to box style change (I never liked the 5000T design).

New firmware will either be the same (old Aura gets Freely), can’t see that but you never know. More likely it will be the same but with Freely removed.
I think your supposition is probably correct.
How the new box behaves if someone doesn't want to stream everything and prefers the Freeview approach, but with a Freely box, I don't know.
If all the Freeview channels can be played (over the air) in a Freely box, albeit with different channel numbers, then fine. If not - it's not a good substitute for what we currently use.
I can't remember why I moved from the 5000T to the Aura. The style of the 5000T probably wasn't the problem. More likely it was software problems (crashing?). Now where have I heard that before?
 
How about this as a possibility. The new Aura EZ (FHR-6000T) is going to replace the old Aura, iPlayer certification proves its existence.
That is usually the way of things when a new model is released
Name change due to box style change (I never liked the 5000T design).
Unlikely as the name change came soon after the release of pics of the 5000T like design and they cannot even get an Aura update finished within a year and a half let alone a complete remodel.
New firmware will either be the same (old Aura gets Freely), can’t see that but you never know. More likely it will be the same but with Freely removed
A while ago I suggested that the long delay of the promised Aura Android update from 9 to 14 may be due to it being the same version being used for the Aura EZ freely and will not appear until the new box gets ready for release. Would Humax release a new product with Android 14 when Android 16 is now the latest version and only a few months until Android 17 is released ? Will Humax now try to catch up for the new box and just forget the Aura update?
 
That is usually the way of things when a new model is released
One is a Freeview recorder and if the other is a Freely recorder they could (and should IMO) run alongside each other. If the new Aura is a Freeview recorder with Freely (IMO most likely) or it can record both then it is a replacement.

Unlikely as the name change came soon after the release of pics of the 5000T like design and they cannot even get an Aura update finished within a year and a half let alone a complete remodel.
Seeing as the pictures were not supposed to be released maybe they are wrong. But sadly you are probably right.

A while ago I suggested that the long delay of the promised Aura Android update from 9 to 14 may be due to it being the same version being used for the Aura EZ freely and will not appear until the new box gets ready for release.
Said the same myself.

Will Humax now try to catch up for the new box and just forget the Aura update?
But that is probably true.
 
That is usually the way of things when a new model is released
One is a Freeview recorder and if the other is a Freely recorder they could (and should IMO) run alongside each other. If the new Aura is a Freeview recorder with Freely (IMO most likely) or it can record both then it is a replacement.

Unlikely as the name change came soon after the release of pics of the 5000T like design and they cannot even get an Aura update finished within a year and a half let alone a complete remodel.
Seeing as the pictures were not supposed to be released maybe they are wrong. But sadly you are probably right.

A while ago I suggested that the long delay of the promised Aura Android update from 9 to 14 may be due to it being the same version being used for the Aura EZ freely and will not appear until the new box gets ready for release.
Said the same myself.

Will Humax now try to catch up for the new box and just forget the Aura update?
But that is probably true.
I think it is a safe bet to say that it is certain that it will not record Freely content and only record Freeview channels,, if that was ever to become a possibility you will see several companies releasing Freely recorders and doubtful that Humax would be the first to appear. I think the whole point of pushing Freely is to prevent recording and the ability to FF or skip past adverts and by providing everything on catch up it might convince many that they no longer need a recorder. I think this Aura EZ is just an attempt to profit from a hybrid that will fill the gap between the demise of Ad avoiding and Freeview recording and the compulsory Ad viewing of Freely. I have no experience of Freely myself but can anyone confirm that there is a skip option to avoid Ads or are they as unavoidable as Android catch up Ads on the Aura?

"Seeing as the pictures were not supposed to be released" Says who? Pics and a lot of spec appeared on several retailers sites around the same time not just as an internet rumour and it was not just pics of a 5000T it was a similar casing but a totally different layout of connections at the back which suggests to me that it was a planned release of info from Humax.
 
"Seeing as the pictures were not supposed to be released" Says who? Pics and a lot of spec appeared on several retailers sites around the same time not just as an internet rumour and it was not just pics of a 5000T it was a similar casing but a totally different layout of connections at the back which suggests to me that it was a planned release of info from Humax.
They were independent electrical retailers who were all members of the Euronics network. Some of those retailers do indicate which items they source through Euronics and this was one of those items.
I.e. it is possible that the advanced details were from Euronics and did not make the situation clear that it wasn't part of a wider strategy of official info from Humax, yet.
Also if it was a planed release of info from Humax then why only Euronics members?
 
Last edited:
I have no experience of Freely myself
Neither have I.
(The following is mainly opinion - no actual facts!)
I've seen conflicting information on t'net as to whether all channels available over-the-air on Freeview are available ota on Freely. If they are then there is a possibility that all current channels could be recorded. I suppose trick play (eg. skip) might be disabled. Who knows.
It is highly unlikely that the new box would record from the internet. If it did your recordings could be time limited and copying to another device prevented. You may need the internet to verify your credentials for a recording and for seeing adverts Skip to avoid them - :roflmao: no chance!
 
Neither have I.
(The following is mainly opinion - no actual facts!)
I've seen conflicting information on t'net as to whether all channels available over-the-air on Freeview are available ota on Freely. If they are then there is a possibility that all current channels could be recorded. I suppose trick play (eg. skip) might be disabled. Who knows.
It is highly unlikely that the new box would record from the internet. If it did your recordings could be time limited and copying to another device prevented. You may need the internet to verify your credentials for a recording and for seeing adverts Skip to avoid them - :roflmao: no chance!
Is Freely not all internet based and not ota?
 
They were independent electrical retailers who were all members of the Euronics network. Some of those retailers do indicate which items they source through Euronics and this was one of those items.
I.e. it is possible that the advanced details were from Euronics and did not make the situation clear that it wasn't part of a wider strategy of official info from Humax, yet.
Also if it was a planed release of info from Humax then why only Euronics members?
That makes sense but where did Euronics get such detailed info if not from Humax? I have not seen anything anywhere claiming it was leaked by mistake or stolen info.
 
Neither have I.
(The following is mainly opinion - no actual facts!)
I've seen conflicting information on t'net as to whether all channels available over-the-air on Freeview are available ota on Freely. If they are then there is a possibility that all current channels could be recorded. I suppose trick play (eg. skip) might be disabled. Who knows.
It is highly unlikely that the new box would record from the internet. If it did your recordings could be time limited and copying to another device prevented. You may need the internet to verify your credentials for a recording and for seeing adverts Skip to avoid them - :roflmao: no chance!
My understanding is that with the current freely receivers that can also use DTT, when in freely mode, and an aerial is also connected, then freely takes priority over any aerial equivalent. Your suggestion that a recorder could be produced that could still record the DTT version even if there is a freely version will hopefully materialise.
 
Is Freely not all internet based and not ota?
As I understand Freely you need to think of it more as a Freeview Plus Plus so a single UI for all your on demand and terrestrial TV if you have an aerial.

Freeview Plus is slow and requires logging in and out of lots of apps, Freely stops this it should switch seamlessly between watching ITVX and iPlayer.

If you don’t have an aerial all that is available must come from the internet. If you do have an aerial and the channel you select from the EPG is only on Freeview it will switch to that, seamlessly.

This for me this is where Freely makes its biggest mistake IMO it should prioritise Freeview’s better picture, sound and no delay over only using it if the channel is not available on the internet.
 
This for me this is where Freely makes its biggest mistake IMO it should prioritise Freeview’s better picture, sound and no delay over only using it if the channel is not available on the internet.
Yes, but 'they' have got an agenda - it's all about saving them money, costing us money and inconvenience, and we don't really count anyway.
 
This for me this is where Freely makes its biggest mistake IMO it should prioritise Freeview’s better picture, sound and no delay over only using it if the channel is not available on the internet.
If that is how it works then that confirms I do not want a Freely device, and I especially don't want one for my parents. For them the higher reliability of the Freeview broadcast is important.
 
Given what has been said above, wouldn't it be possible to disconnect the internet from the new box and get it to operate more like Freeview?
Much like I do with the Aura to stop various channels popping "red buttons" on the screen or starting internet streaming on ota channels. I only connect to the internet when I want to. (Initial setup, updates and very occasionally a programme).
 
Depends how it works. It may remember at tuning time which stations are broadcast only and which on the internet. So you either tune without internet and get only broadcast stations, or you tune with internet and then you're stuck with it and tuning to a channel without internet connected just hourglasses forever.
 
Back
Top