Linux will read files but not play.

You wont believe it but I cant copy a file to usb. I have done it in the past and made notes of how but cant find them. The copy button, green, is not working.

Don't know if you still want to use Foxsat-hdr samba on linux but I use this -
sudo mount -t cifs -o username=anon,password="" //fox2/media /home/rob/Fox2
obviously change fox2 to your hummys name/ip address and home/rob/Fox2 to your own mount point it should then show up in nautilus/files or whatever

Sounds what I need debitcardmayhem, slight problem where am I entering these, in samba or terminal.
YASSM v2.7 finds the share: media@FOXSAT-HDR and I can display its contents but not play in vlc

They need to be entered in a terminal , the version of samba on the Hummy doesn't play nicely with Linux Samba
On your puppy box try like this
Code:
mkdir hummy
sudo mount -t cifs -o username=anon,password="" //fox2/media hummy
cd hummy
vlc program-name.ts

Hello debitcardmayhem
I get the following in terminal
root# mkdir hummy
mkdir: can't create directory 'hummy': File exists
root# sudo mount -t cifs -o username=anon,password="" //fox2/media hummy
mount error: could not find target server. TCP name fox2/media not found rc = 0
No ip address specified and hostname not found
root# cd hummy
root# vlc program-name.ts

OK you have to change //fox2 to the ip address of your foxsat e.g. 192.168.1..... or foxsat-hdr
and make a new directory eg mkdir foxsat (not hummy since you already have a file called that )

Open the destination folder on the usb drive first, Now go back to the internal drive. Now it knows the destination the copy button should be active.

OK you have to change //fox2 to the ip address of your foxsat e.g. 192.168.1..... or foxsat-hdr
and make a new directory eg mkdir foxsat (not hummy since you already have a file called that )
I did that and still no difference. My knowledge of terminal is almost zero, I do not understand or know what I am doing.
You say the samba on the foxsat hdr is not compatible with puppy linux. Can you recommend a version of linux that will play its samba.
Thanks.

No that made no difference, turned firewall off and when I tried to play a file I got permission denied.

Another thing, I have a Cambridge audio np30 streamer and it will read and play my network media server and my satellite tv box but will not detect the foxsat hdr at all.
I set network settings on hdr to dhcp and np30 will now detect a mediatomb server but will not play anything, as they are all ts video files and its audio thats right.
I still cant play any video files in vlc.

Last edited:
Back