Linux will read files but not play.

What is the username and password for the humax hdr box. Any client program always asks me for username and password which is my sticking point. What can I use.
Thanks

If you already had it, then the HD recordings would not be encrypted and update to 413 should not have affected it (It didn't when I updated a long time ago).

If you already had it, then the HD recordings would not be encrypted and update to 413 should not have affected it (It didn't when I updated a long time ago).
Thanks Trev, I have it still then, have not had any encrypted files.
Back to my main question what is the username and password for the humax hdr That would really help.

I don't know. That's why I didn't suggest one.:D My Foxsat has been in mothballs for ages now.

You already have don here. But I see that you have posted the same question in a different thread as well.:eek:

But I see that you have posted the same question in a different thread as well.:eek:
That's reasonable. It's a different subject which people who have already decided they are not interested in this thread may view and respond to.

Don't know if you still want to use Foxsat-hdr samba on linux but I use this -
sudo mount -t cifs -o username=anon,password="" //fox2/media /home/rob/Fox2
obviously change fox2 to your hummys name/ip address and home/rob/Fox2 to your own mount point it should then show up in nautilus/files or whatever

Sounds what I need debitcardmayhem, slight problem where am I entering these, in samba or terminal.
YASSM v2.7 finds the share: media@FOXSAT-HDR and I can display its contents but not play in vlc

Last edited:
Hmm not being a Puppy User I don't know about YASSM , but try : cd to the directory (eg cd /home/rob/Fox2/Videos ) then try vlc yourvideo.ts
That works fine on my Fedora , and you can then use any *ix commands to the directory too. If I have time I will load Puppy in a Virtual MC and see if I can do more

You need to identify files with a .ts (transport stream) file extension when using Samba. By (crazy) default,, Windows suppresses the file extension for known file extensions. Either switch off the option or locate the .ts by using the file search wildcard *.ts. A recording on this box consists of a whole family of associated sidecar files with the same filrename other than the extension. other than the main .ts file ( .nts. .hmt and .tac files).

Basically .nts has navigation data that allows the Foxsat to navigate the file using it's forward/reverse skip keys, fast forward and reverse etc, the .hmt contains all sorts of data like the channel recorded from, recording start date, duration etc and the programme synopsis (much of this is in ascii format and can be viewed using simple binary editing software with a ascii view of the data). The .tac files are simply small image files used to create the chapter thumbnails, if you delete these on the box, they will be re-created on the next housekeeping cycle. A easy test if the file is encrypted is open the .ts in the free MediaInfo app. If it reports no PAT then the file is still encrypted.

You need to identify files with a .ts (transport stream) file extension when using Samba. By (crazy) default,, Windows suppresses the file extension for known file extensions. Either switch off the option or locate the .ts by using the file search wildcard *.ts. A recording on this box consists of a whole family of associated sidecar files with the same filrename other than the extension. other than the main .ts file ( .nts. .hmt and .tac files).

Basically .nts has navigation data that allows the Foxsat to navigate the file using it's forward/reverse skip keys, fast forward and reverse etc, the .hmt contains all sorts of data like the channel recorded from, recording start date, duration etc and the programme synopsis (much of this is in ascii format and can be viewed using simple binary editing software with a ascii view of the data). The .tac files are simply small image files used to create the chapter thumbnails, if you delete these on the box, they will be re-created on the next housekeeping cycle. A easy test if the file is encrypted is open the .ts in the free MediaInfo app. If it reports no PAT then the file is still encrypted.
Hi Graham, the last two or three posts pertain to Puppy Linux (Not Windows), hence I suggested "vlc yourvideo.ts " and if diode84 tries Nautilus/Files on the mounted file-system he can then right click open with VLC .

BTW hope you are well ...I've not been on AV much lately

Hi Graham, the last two or three posts pertain to Puppy Linux (Not Windows), hence I suggested "vlc yourvideo.ts " and if diode84 tries Nautilus/Files on the mounted file-system he can then right click open with VLC .

BTW hope you are well ...I've not been on AV much lately

Hi really well (thanks for asking). However MediaInfo works on all platform, so would confirm the content is not encrypted as I believe does Samba( No practical experinece at all). As you probably know my IOS knowledge is next to zero.

Just suggesting the OP may not be actually not looking at the actual file with the actual video data.

The files are not encrypted as I installed the patch. There are three files for every recording, .ts, hmt and nts. I only try to open the ts file with vlc.

When did you install the patch on the Foxsat? I suppose that you know it does not decrypt previous recordings, only ones that are recorded after installing the patch.

Back