List of Encrypted Files / Unencrypted Files

hugoread

Hopefully a quick question with a quick answer if I'm lucky:

I'm running unencrypt on the entirity of my 7/8 full HDR on the standard timeframe of twice an hour between 1am to 6am every night. That's fine and I don't really want or need to run it outside of those hours (although I suppose I could increase the frequency).

After three days I've made pretty slow progress, which again is fine, apart from some impatience. Checking the unencrypt.log shows me how far I've got.

However, my question is this: checking the unencrypt log doesn't really give me a quick and easy overview of how many unencrypted files vs encrypted files I've got at a glance. Is there a utility that does this? Something that said something like:

300 files excluding files in [] folders
Breakdown:
200 encrypted, 100 decrypted
40 HD (40 unprotected, 0 protected), 260 SD

would be really useful! I could then just check that file every morning and wait until it's all done before using samba to move a bunch of files and folders over to my NAS. I'm sure other summary diagnostics could be added to that would result in an excellent summary file for a variety of purposes.

Any thoughts!

I don't have an answer to your question, there is no such stat that I know of, but I do recommend setting unencrypt to run every 5 mins 24/7.

Try running the encsummary diagnostic - it takes a minute or two before the results are displayed as it has to scan the media files.

Perfect, thanks af123. I just ran encsummary and it gives precisely the info I asked for.

>>> Beginning diagnostic encsummary
Running: encsummary
Encrypted: 100
Decrypted: 537
Total: 637

>>> Ending diagnostic encsummary

So 100 to go! However, the figures are misleading as it must include files other than .ts in the totals. I definitely don't have anywhere near 637 recordings on my HDR. I'd be surprised if I had more than about 150, which seems about right as unencrypt has got through 47 files so far over the three nights I've had it running. So the diagnostic must include the side car files I reckon.

Still, even if the total is wrong, the '100 encrypted' is still a really useful figure, I can now check that number every morning until it gets down to zero, which I reckon will take about about another week!

Black Hole, I don't really need or want to run unencrypt 24/7 - between 1am and 6am is ample, although I might increase the frequency. It's just the initial run through of the files that's taking time. After that, if it continues to process about 15 files a day (as it managed in the first three days), then that's way more than I'll ever record in a single day, so once it's caught up in a week's time it will then stay on top of the job with the default settings.

Cheers.

Black Hole, I don't really need or want to run unencrypt 24/7 - between 1am and 6am is ample, although I might increase the frequency.

It's worth noting that unencrypt will only process one file at a time, so when the next 'look' period comes up (currently every 30 mins.) nothing will happen if hasn't finished the last job. The time you would be saving by increasing the frequency to 5 Mins. is the time it waits when it has finished a job before starting the next. The outcome is that there is a large saving when unencrypting lots of small files and little saving when unencrypting fewer large ones that could take hours anyway

That's clear, thanks. As a middle ground compromise I've updated it to run every 10 minutes (1,11,21,31,41,51) between the default 1am and 6am. I've got the standard wake up and go to sleep set to 0:55am and 6:15am. We'll see how long it takes to trawl through the remaining 100 programmes!

Perfect, thanks af123. I just ran encsummary and it gives precisely the info I asked for . . . However, the figures are misleading as it must include files other than .ts in the totals. I definitely don't have anywhere near 637 recordings on my HDR.

encsummary is only working with *.hmt files as far as I can see, so if you don't think you have this many recordings maybe you have a lot of orphaned hmt files for some reason

Well that's weird then, as I definitely have nowhere near that many recordings. A quick bit of analysis shows that I started using unencrypt three nights ago, it's done 47 files in the three nights I've run it and there are 100 that are still encrypted, giving a total of 147 files, which sounds about right. Just glancing over My Video it's immediately clear that 637 is way, way more that the actual figure. So it looks like there are 490 files that encsummary is counting that aren't visible to me as recordings. Hmm. Any way to find them and get rid of them?

I'll have a look at it later. I knocked the script up quite quickly last night so probably messed something up in it.

Thanks af123, much obliged. Maybe I do have 490 orphan .hmt files, but it seems very unlikely.

Best,
Hugo.

If I run the script I get this :-
Encrypted: 296
Decrypted: 60
Total: 356

If I then run find -name *hmt > /mod/tmp/all-hmt.txt I get a file with 360 lines in it,
356 under /mnt/hd2/My Video/
2 under /media/drive1/
1 under /mnt/hd2/Tsr/0.hmt
1 under /mnt/hd2/mod/bin/hmt

In other words exactly what you would expect, so the script is working for me as there are 356 matching ts files under My Video

Interesting. I just did exactly the same, copying your command above, and I have 146 .hmt files, pretty much exactly how many I worked out there should be. So I'm not sure why encsummary is giving me 637.

Looks like encsummary counts all files under 'Media', which will include bits of your NAS too if mounted there. Same thing happens to me - 172 files counted, but about half of these are on my NAS, the Humax itself only has about 90 files.

That sounds right. I guess it needs to be filtered so it only counts files in /mnt

I ran find -name *hmt > /mod/tmp/all-hmt.txt, which gave me 201 files in total, of which 146 were on the HDR and the other 55 on the NAS. So that still doesn't account for the 637 from encsummary, which is several hundred over.

Try the diagnostic now. I've restricted it to /media/My Video/ on the HDR model with no symlink or device following.

af123 you're a star. This morning encsummary gives me...

Showing files under /media/My Video/
Encrypted: 69
Decrypted: 75
Total: 144

>>> Ending diagnostic encsummary

which is exactly what I'd expect to see. So from yesterday morning's 100 encrypted I've now got 69 to go, so another three nights and I'll be done! Having updated unencrypt to run every 10 minutes (but still just from 1am to 6am) I've speeded it up a bit, doing 31 overnight, which is way more files than I'll ever record in a day, so that's fine.

Just to double check, I also ran "find -name *hmt > /mod/tmp/all-hmt.txt", which confirmed the figures.

Thanks for that af123.

For information, one reason I have unencrypt running (potentially) every 5 minutes is because of my HD-FOX remote viewing. The content becomes available as soon as possible after it is recorded (even by DLNA the content isn't available immediately, it takes time for the indexer to put a recording into the database - but it can't be decrypted until it is).

For information, one reason I have unencrypt running (potentially) every 5 minutes is because of my HD-FOX remote viewing.

I totally get this point Black Hole and I've been tempted to run it every 5 minutes 24/7 myself for the same reason, but on the other hand I don't want the HDR to struggle or make annoying noises over dinner. Can you say if you've noticed any performance problems at all due to this? I can imagine a scenario at prime time where it's decrypting one file whilst the hummy is also recording two other programmes. Not beyond the realms of possibility at all. Ever noticed any problems because of this or any noise? It would also really annoy me if the TV was off and we were having a nice quiet supper (the HDR's in the kitchen diner) and the Humax was chugging away.

Basically it would be excellent to start watching a programme on the HD that was only just recorded on the HDR, but I'm not sure how often I'd do that vs potential problems. Your experience of running this set up would be appreciated!

Back