Little known Windows Command

Interesting, but I wouldn't dare use that on my PC - I have a snapshotting system in place which runs below Windows to journal the hard drive, and for all I know this cipher command might proceed to scramble my snapshots!

I would envisage that it would only be used if you have something to hide or if you were disposing of a drive.

I run it periodically to return free space to the system.
But the free space is returned to the system when a file is deleted, but the data on the disc is not truly gone until it has been overwritten several times by other data. Surely it's the junk files such as caches, temp files etc. that CCleaner deletes and 'returns to the system'? Which is a completely different procedure to that which cypher achieves.

But the free space is returned to the system when a file is deleted, but the data on the disc is not truly gone until it has been overwritten several times by other data. Surely it's the junk files such as caches, temp files etc. that CCleaner deletes and 'returns to the system'? Which is a completely different procedure to that which cypher achieves.

Look at the Tools option on the left. There is a Drive Wiper that you can use to overwrite all free space.

http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/using-ccleaner/wiping-free-disk-space

There is an option to wipe MFT free space, too.

Finally, in a normal cache/junk cleaning scan, which you refer to above, under the Windows tab, there is also an option to wipe free space by default.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 6
Back