Loading new software

bathtub

I've a problem with my PVR (it powers itself off and on about once a minute). Humax technical support have suggested loading new software and sent me a couple of links. I get so far and hit a wall, email them and they send me a bit more information which moves me another step forward, a painfully slow business.

I've now got to the point where it seems to start trying to transfer the software from my PC to the PVR (via an RS232 9-pin lead) but throws up the error message: "Error location 1. Error waiting for 2"

Can anyone help please, I doubt if I'll get a reply from Humax this side of the weekend.

Are you using a 'null modem' cable. If you've got a multimeter you can check the connections from one end of the cable to the other. The only connections needed from one end to the other are

Pin 2 to pin 3 at the other end.
Pin 3 to pin 2 at the other end.
Pin 5 to pin 5 at the other end.

All other connections at irrelevant.

Also look at Martin's instructions.

http://www.tynecomp.co.uk/flash9200.html

I've now got to the point where it seems to start trying to transfer the software from my PC to the PVR (via an RS232 9-pin lead) but throws up the error message: "Error location 1. Error waiting for 2"
The error messages suggests you are using flash9200. Have you tried the cable test? If it passes the cable test then the problem will be whatever you have between the serial port and the Humax. It must be a null modem cable; a gender changer or a straight through cable will not work. If it fails to pass the cable test then the problem is typically with the device driver for the USB to Serial adapter (if you are using one).

The cable I've got is wired 'straight'.
Pin 2 to pin 2
Pin 3 to pin 3
And moulded ends. Looks like it's back to ordering another.
Thanks for the replies.

Bit of a bodge but if you wanted to get on with it now you could chop the cable say 6" from one end, peel back the insulation and screen (if any), identify the wires from pins 2, 3 and 5 and reconnect them as my post above, no other connections are needed. If there is a screen reconnect it, it may be connected to pin 5 but if not leave it separate, pin 5 is the common connection, 'earth' if you like. You could make the connections with a small screw connector block, RS232 is very robust.

Actually have you tried the obvious first step for most faults, a Default Setting?

Thanks for the 'bodge'. I've ordered a new null lead, they're less than a couple of quid. I can wait, the PVR's been practically unusable for a couple of weeks.
I tried re-formatting the HDD as a first step and everything's back to default.
I reckon it's a component fault that's breaking down under temperature, but I'm willing to try a software re-load first.
The annoying thing is it's only just over two years old.

Thanks for the 'bodge'. I've ordered a new null lead, they're less than a couple of quid. I can wait, the PVR's been practically unusable for a couple of weeks.
I tried re-formatting the HDD as a first step and everything's back to default.
I reckon it's a component fault that's breaking down under temperature, but I'm willing to try a software re-load first.
The annoying thing is it's only just over two years old.
Just to be clear, formatting the hard disk is not a Default Setting. Have you done a Default Setting from the Installation menu?

I've had another play and it would appear to have been doing it's power down-up before it could complete a return to default setting.

I observed it carefully and after it had completed a power up and as soon as it would allow me to open its menu I went to default setting. It appeared to go into a re-tune after completing a return to default, is that normal? It's now been working OK since last night.

The only two changes it seems to have from default setting were:
1. preferences - A/V control - screen ratio - 4:3 to 16:9
2. preferences - misc settings - commercial skip time - 30 to 120

Is the software on these known to have 'holes' like this to fall in?

I don't know if someone else had been playing around with other settings, it's not impossible as I've a couple of family members who fiddle with things.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help and here's hoping that's resolved the problem and this thread may help anyone else who stumbles across the same problem.

That isn't the point of the default setting. It initialises the internal data structures and I would guess re-reading your initial posting the problem was that there was something in the recording schedule or cached EPG that was causing the box to crash. The fix for that problem is with the power off disconnect the aerial. This should then allow you plenty of time to do a default settings then power off again reconnect the aerial and do another default settings. Why Humax support didn't suggest this I have no idea.

I am getting a steady increase in reports of Humax support suggesting reinstalling the software when the fault is clearly something well known. Has anybody ever fixed a problem with a 9150/9200/9300 by reinstalling the same version of the software? I accept that boxes that are running early versions of the software will benefit from an update to the latest version.

I've had another play and it would appear to have been doing it's power down-up before it could complete a return to default setting.

I observed it carefully and after it had completed a power up and as soon as it would allow me to open its menu I went to default setting. It appeared to go into a re-tune after completing a return to default, is that normal? It's now been working OK since last night.

I don't know if someone else had been playing around with other settings, it's not impossible as I've a couple of family members who fiddle with things.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help and here's hoping that's resolved the problem and this thread may help anyone else who stumbles across the same problem.

Yes the machine reboots and starts an Automatic Search as part of the Default Setting procedure. If you find you have channels starting at channel number 800 after the Automatic Search then you'll have to do a Manual Search otherwise you'll get problems with recordings.

The software is not perfect but in general performs well, at least on my friend's 9300. The Default Setting procedure does more than just reset the menu settings to their default value. EDIT. I see Martin has already said similar while I was typing.

In defence, it seems the damn thing was powering down before it could complete a reset to default settings. I didn't realise.

Anybody want to buy a couple of RS232, 9-pin, female - female leads. One straight, one null?

In defence, it seems the damn thing was powering down before it could complete a reset to default settings.
But did you try it with the aerial out and was it really powering down (which is what confused me in your first post) rather than rebooting?

I didn't think to try it with the aerial out, nor was it suggested.

I don't know if it was re-booting, I assumed it was powering down then up from the sound of what I assumed was the cooling fan, although it may have been the HDD. What is the whirring noise you can hear on initial start up?

It did it again this morning, two or three times and then behaved. It's never done that before, it either works fine or continually resets itself.

I put it on standby overnight and in the morning switch to radio to listen to R4 as is my normal habit.

I did notice once that when it was on standby it appeared to be 'on' and transmitting picture and sound down the scart to the telly. Switching it on then caused the reset fault to manifest itself.

I tend to think it's a hardware fault (component or circuit board break perhaps), but that doesn't explain how a return to default settings seemed to resolve it. I'm open to suggestions.

RS232 null lead hasn't arrived yet, looks like I'll have to chase it up, so I can't attempt re-loading software.

I'll keep you updated.

I'd be tempted to reload the software when the cable arrives short of any other ideas. Follow this with a Default Setting and if you end up with channels in the 800 range then do a Manual Search as well. If all this fails to resolve the problem then I agree you may have a hardware fault.

This machine's been limping along for over a year, but now I think it may be terminal.

It became very slow to respond to remote instructions (20 sec or more), then it lost all its recordings and it lost the 'record' function in the menu. Wouldn't pause and setting record in the EPG would only set a reservation.

I've reloaded the software, re-formatted the HDD and returned it to default setting. It's still very slow to respond, but recording (record option is back in the menu). It's then lost everything another couple of times and I've had to go through the reload/re-format/default procedure.

User's handbook states the HDD isn't initialising if record disappears from the menu.

I suspect the HDD's failing. Is it worth fitting another, or should I chuck the thing (it's now only three years old).

Anyone suggest a more reliable brand, Amstrad, Alba, Goodmans maybe?

Ha!

The unit is only as reliable as the components that are inside, and three years service isn't bad for a HDD under these conditions. HDR-FOX has been around for four years, some people have had HDD failures, some haven't.

I suspect the HDD's failing. Is it worth fitting another, or should I chuck the thing (it's now only three years old).
Repeated loss of recorded programs is a sure sign that the harddrive is failing. This is the correct type of hard drive http://www.ebuyer.com/185911-wd-av-gp-500gb-3-5-sataii-32mb-hard-drive-wd5000avds I would be about 95% confident that it will fix the problem. Up to you to decide whether it is better to get a new machine at a higher price (but which will work better; I can only speak for the Humax machines but the HD capable Freeview models are significantly better than the earlier SD models) or the lower cost of a new hard drive.
There are only a few manufacturers of hard drives and so all machines from any manufacturer will be equally affected by hard drive problems. I would guess the average life of a hard drive in a PVR is somewhere around four to five years so you have been a bit unlucky.

Back