Lock channels without locking prior recordings

dooferdog

Been a while but good to see you folks very active still..will have to look at upgrading CF soon.

In the meantime I have been trying to deploy parental controls on my HDR T2, and whilst I can lock channels I find that this locks all prior recordings on that channel in my media list, and the recorded programmes cannot be unlocked without unlocking the channel. So for instance i want to lock BBC1 so the lad doesn't accidentally happen upon the BBC's sorry and increasingly depraved news output, but don't mind him accessing chitty chitty bang bank recorded on BBC1 6 months ago. Does a CF package attend to this? If not does anyone else have parental control issues (Humax related, of course..)?

Cheers, D

The Custom Firmware may be able to help, there is a CFW package called hmt that can alter various 'flags' relating to files. After installing the CFW and the hmt package you could try something like this from a Telnet command line :-
Code:
humax# hmt -lock 'The Simpsons_20131120_1807.hmt'

You could change the channel which is stored within the recording using that utility.

hmt +patch32=0x458:22 'The Simpsons_20131120_1807.hmt'

would set the channel number to 22 (. I doubt you can override the default Humax behaviour of locking anything which was recorded on a locked channel (which I have to say I wasn't aware of!)

Code:
humax# hmt Test\ recording_20150415_1020. | grep -i chan
Channel:5 (Channel 5)
humax# hmt +patch32=0x458:22 Test\ recording_20150415_1020.
Patching width 32 - 0x458(1112) = 0x16(22)
humax# hmt Test\ recording_20150415_1020. | grep -i chan
Channel:22 (Channel 5)

In the meantime I have been trying to deploy parental controls on my HDR T2, and whilst I can lock channels I find that this locks all prior recordings on that channel in my media list, and the recorded programmes cannot be unlocked without unlocking the channel.

Perhaps you should consider how to lock a recording without locking a channel....

For parental control firstly channeldel is a good start. This means you can delete channels completely (eg adult content) even after a rescan.

Then sweeper package is very useful for parental control.

Without locking a channel you can specify times between which all recordings will be locked.

tmp_26752-Screenshot_2015-04-17-21-11-29~2-1703362488.jpg

This example will lock all recordings after 9 p.m. and before 6.59 a.m. (excluding programmes classified as sports e.g. match of the day which is generally on after the watershed).

If you want to be more specific you can specify on a folder by folder basis to have some programmes locked during the day but after a certain time e.g. 8.30 p.m. they become unlocked.

tmp_26752-Screenshot_2015-04-17-22-01-30~2260957451.jpg

This unlocks programmes in this folder between 8.30 p.m. and midnight and locks them at other times.

[Edit : Even if the op wishes to continue to lock a channel (with MENU>Channel List>[green button]Edit>Lock ..toggling off/on option to 'on') the second method still continues to keep recordings from this channel unlocked after 8.30 p.m.]

Thanks again to the customised packages. It enables customised parental control.

Alternatively the other method I use for parental control is.... hide the remote.

Last edited:
Back