Locked Files when using PC to move them from HDR to NAS

oijonesey

Hummy.tv SEO Guru
I've been trying to make some space on the Hummy ready for the usual round of repeats at Christmas. I use my PC and the Move option when dragging the files from the Hummy share to the NAS folder so that saves me remembering to delete the original file when it's done.

However...sometimes windows won't move the files saying that they are locked/in use and can't be moved. It does allow me to Copy them - just not move (presumably it knows it won't be able to delete at the end of the process). I can go into the Hummy and delete from there but if I lose track of what I've done (sometimes have to leave the Move running overnight) it all gets messy and I forget what I've copied and need to delete.

I searched for threads on locked files but could only find this one http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/1-02-07-issues.156/ which wasn't quite what my problem is although it does mention part played recordings so might be relevant if I'm moving stuff I've part watched?

I wanted to ask has anyone else seen this? And is there an easy way to clear this locked flag (via Windows) if I find one while housekeeping? Thanks, Oijonesey

If you use Windows to move the files, it needs two network operations - fetch and push. Wouldn't you be better off moving directly from a Telnet session, then you might not get the lock problem?

Ummm OK - I don't know anything about Telnet other than pasting commands from af123 in the early days of the webif but if I understand correctly you're saying the file goes direct between the Hummy and the NAS and not going through my laptop (or indeed the wi-fi?) on the way? Will have to go and learn myself some Telnet commands. Thanks for the reply

It's very much like DOS: "cd" to change directory, "ls" to list the contents of a directory, "cp" to copy a file somewhere else, and "rm" to delete something (remove).

The problem will be mounting the NAS into the Humax's file system so you can work with it - the CIFS boys will have to help you with that, but once you mount it I think you will be able to move files using the SUI.

It's very much like DOS: "cd" to change directory, "ls" to list the contents of a directory, "cp" to copy a file somewhere else, and "rm" to delete something (remove).
I have never come across that functionality in telnet; what version has those capabilities?

Ha ha!

OK, so I've missed out a detail or two. What I meant was the Linux commands available once you have opened a Telnet session to the Humax. But you knew that.

Back