Logitec Harmony Remotes

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I discovered a "gotcha" I have with my supported user, Harmony 300 programmed to operate the HDR-FOX in combination with a Samsung TV.

There is only one "activity" available on the 300, on the "Watch TV" button, which I have set up to power-toggle the TV and HDR, and set the TV to HDMI2 (although I'm not sure the TV boots in time to act on that bit). Supported user was getting things out-of-sync too often, which I reckon was because of idly pressing the "power" button and causing the HDR to go into standby. Aha, I thought, I'll reprogram the "power" button in HDR mode to do something inconsequential... the MyHarmony app only allows currently unassigned functions to be assigned to a button, so I chose "return".

The gotcha is that, having told the Harmony to use "return" on the power button, it also uses it for the "watch TV" activity!

@Brian: Maybe this could be another forum section: "Programmable and Replacement Remotes"

Logitech / Harmony have their own user support forums and I am sure they could maybe suggest other ways of solving your user problem. When things go out of sync for me I have set long-press of Red to restore the TV input and the AV amp input to the correct source for the current activity. I also have a long-press of Green and Yellow to step back and forward through the HDMI / Optical switch I use (my old AV amp only has one Optical input) and a long-press of Blue to switch the AV amp to FM radio to play soothing Classic FM music rather than the yak of irritating presenters while I am waiting for a programme to start. But this is of no use to you as the 300 model does not support long-press as far as I know.

No long-press options on the 300. I'm currently building an elderly/dementia-friendly remote based on the innards of a JP1 unit (URC-1280, £15).

Back