Logitech wireless keyboard..

Should I be seeing N: Name="dummy keyboard" in /proc/bus/input/devices rather than N: Name="2.4G USB RF KeyBoard"?

You should be seeing it as well as what's already in there, but the test program deletes the device again when it's finished. If you're quick enough from a different window you will see it in the devices file while it's running.

Also I have found that if you send a '1' from the wireless keyboard you can follow it up with a '2' on the remote to get '12' Yesterday

Yes, I think once it has put up the channel selection box on the screen, it's in a different bit of code waiting for the rest of the channel number and doesn't look for keyboard input. Why it understands keyboard input at all is the question!

Could be a bug that doesn't matter therefore never debugged!

I think Af123 is saying why was it setup to look for a keyboard interface at all, what did they have in mind?

af123 : Yes, I think once it has put up the channel selection box on the screen, it's in a different bit of code

It did make me think maybe the keyboard number entry was like a very early Sony TV remote I had, where you used 1-9 for single number entry and a "--" key if the number had two digits, so channel 99 required "9" + "--" + "9"

They might not have had anything in mind. Typical complex software gets cobbled together from whatever modules are already available - a driver here, some existing code there. What I was thinking is that initially the box doesn't know what to expect and it's taking input from a general IO stream that happens to have a feed from the keyboard driver just because there happens to be one. It could be an oversight (a bug) that it responds to keyboard in those circumstances.

I'm still looking for a way to inject remote control commands from software so that we can have a virtual remote control like they have on the Foxsat (their technique doesn't work for us) but I haven't yet worked out how to do it.

Doesn't it handle the IR as a standard character input stream? I guess not, you would have thought of that.

Back