Loss of HD channels on FVP-5000T

Ian62westley

Hello,
After happpily using our FVP-5000T for six months or so we recently lost BBC4HD and BBC NewsHD.
The signal strength for BBC1HD is 75% with 100% quality.
Does 75% constitute an acceptable signal?
I wonder whether the signal is affected by atmospheric conditions now that winter is setting in?
We are in the PH3 postcode in Perthshire
Thanks
Ian

Is your aerial pointing to Angus or Durris? Can you be a bit more specific about when you lost the channels?

There were some frequency changes for Angus BBC4HD and BBC NewsHD on 3rd October which would have required a retune.

There were also some frequency changes for Durris on 15th August and like Durris would have also would have required a retune but depending on what you already have could also require a new aerial. The frequencies that BBC4HD and BBC NewsHD are broadcast on from Durris are outside the traditional Durris frequency range and some old Durris aerials will not be able to receive the new frequencies.

The strength for BBC1HD is directly not relevant for BBC4HD and BBC NewsHD. Both BBC4HD and BBC NewsHD are broadcast at far lower power levels compared to BBC1HD. All you can deduce is that even with an appropriate aerial the signal strength would be noticeably lower than 75% for those two channels.

If you lost the channels more recently than the frequency change dates then as the lost channels are broadcast on lower power then yes it is possible that the reason for the loss is just due to atmospheric conditions pushing the signal over the 'digital cliff' of satisfactory reception.

Thanks for the info
We are pointing at Angus and the channels were lost within the last week or two
I tried a re-tune but no joy
I guess I need to upgrade the aerial or maybe fit a booster, although these don’t seem to get good reviews
Cheers

The strength for BBC1HD is directly not relevant for BBC4HD and BBC NewsHD. Both BBC4HD and BBC NewsHD are broadcast at far lower power levels compared to BBC1HD.
Well, 6db down anyway, and on different multiplexes.
It appears that as COM 7&8 are on lower higher frequency multiplexes than the 'main' ones, you need a wideband aerial. This should be addressed before you go down the booster route. If you do eventually need a booster, and it doesn't appear so from your BBCA report of 75%, then it is best to install it as close to the aerial as possible and feed its supply up the coax, rather than the 'bottom' of the coax.

Edit 5/11/18 to correct initial duff gen from UK TV Free

Last edited:
Well, 6db down anyway, and on different multiplexes.
It appears that as COM 7&8 are on lower frequency multiplexes than the 'main' ones, you need a wideband aerial. This should be addressed before you go down the booster route. If you do eventually need a booster, and it doesn't appear so from your BBCA report of 75%, then it is best to install it as close to the aerial as possible and feed its supply up the coax, rather than the 'bottom' of the coax.
Of the two possibly available transmitters for Ian62westley the one which Ian62westley states that his aerial is pointing to is Angus. Angus's non-COM7&8 aren't on lower frequencies yet. The 'main' ones from Angus are not due to move to lower frequencies until the second half of 2019.

I didn't say they were. I said the COM7/8 are on lower frequencies than the 'main' multiplexes (according to UK TV Free)
That web site is no longer maintained. It has always had some sort of information on it that is misleading either through the owner not updating it regularly or entering draft proposal detail and guesses instead of actual and leaving that misleading detail in until way after the real situation has been confirmed.

For one source that is a bit more up to date there is http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/DD4+0RQ/NA/0/NA

Can you goto a transmitter without a postcode. I couldn't see a way of doing it.
AAMOF interest, are the frequencies give on UKTV Free wrong for Angus then?

OK if you know the region, but I can't find Angus. Please enlighten me?
Angus is in the STV North region and if you bring up that region on the link I posted and then look at the map you can see it but there are no listings. I have had the link stored for a while so I guess the information may not be being updated.

What I want to know is the frequency (UHF channel number) of the various multiplexes to check whether the info I gave at post #4 was right or not, as it was pointed out by Luke that the site to which I referred was unreliable.
How hard can it be to find this info?:frantic:

It seems that all the MUXs at Angus are in the 700MHz region from that site and not as UK TV Free suggests.

Last edited:
"Export all results" gives you a csv file with nothing of interest in it!
What I normally do is use a search on the term say "Angus postcode" in Google or similar. Look down the results and find a business or hotel postcode and enter that.
I did that and got this result. :)
angus.png

However, if you choose a PH3 postcode as the OP states (I tried Gleneagles PH3 1NF) some of the rows are missing in the table (reception changes not listed) - and the local mux is also listed (UHF 48, reception all 98 or above).

What I want to know is the frequency (UHF channel number) of the various multiplexes
I'm puzzled. The link in post #7 has the postcode 'for' Angus embedded in the link. No additional entering of a postcode was necessary.

Yes, I noticed that the second time I took the link, but for some strange reason it took me to the home page when I first took it. Did you edit it?
Anyway, the cut and thrust is that the frequencies of Angus do not appear to have changed recently and the only projected change is to BBCA, which will go from CH 60- to 33 in July next year.
But the chart does not indicate which channels Com 7 & 8 (the OP's problem MUXs) were on before '6 months ago' to which the OP refers, as other areas i.e. Crystal Palace have been increased in frequency, putting them 'out of band' for the previously suitable Band A aerial.

Edit. Ah, no. I am confusing your link in post #7 with that in post #9 by ML.

Anyway, the cut and thrust is that the frequencies of Angus do not appear to have changed recently
They changed on 3rd October. I'd count that as "recently".
Do you not read the info. in the tunefix-update thread minutely? Shame on you!
But the chart does not indicate which channels Com 7 & 8 (the OP's problem MUXs) were on before
31 and 37 became 55 and 56 respectively.

The OP needs a new aerial. Post #2 states all this.

Back