Lost all my recordings

cruise

I switched on the box only to find all my recordings had gone. There are no error messages. I did an instant record and it appeared in the list, but when I played it back it was just black. It then disappears from the list when the box is restarted. Is this hard drive failure?

I switched on the box only to find all my recordings had gone. There are no error messages. I did an instant record and it appeared in the list, but when I played it back it was just black. It then disappears from the list when the box is restarted. Is this hard drive failure?
No it is file system corruption. If you desperately want to retrieve the recordings this can be done by connecting the drive direct to a PC and using humaxrw in recovery mode. The fix for the problem is to format the disk from the HDD control menu which takes only a second or two. If the problem reoccurs quickly then it may indicate that the disk is failing.

I had the same problem this morning. I followed your advice, Martin, and all seems to be well. Just waiting to confirm it is recording. I am not worried about losing recorded programmes as I don't keep them for long. I know it might seem odd, but I record interesting things one evening and watch them the next evening while simultaneously recording stuff for the next day. It means that I can discard anything I'm not really interested in and go straight onto another recording. Anyway, thank you for the advice you gave to Cruise.
PS We have had quite a lot of thunderstorms in the north east recently. I wonder if that could have caused the problem?

PS We have had quite a lot of thunderstorms in the north east recently. I wonder if that could have caused the problem?
This is a common problem and I don't think anybody has provided a good explanation of what causes it. My own theory is that there is more than one cause but I have no real proof.

Back