Lost BBC HD

rollsjohn

I've suddenly lost BBC in HD from Emley Moor. Have done a re-scan but ot doesn't even appear in the HD list. Got CFW 3.13. Tried manual re-tune and according to digitaluk the channel should be 32 but Humax doesn't show a signal for this channel and can't find any programs. Tried both DVBT and DVBT2. Any ideas?

Thanks, BH. Tried all that - no change. Will factory reset wipe recordings and schedules if I try that? Don't fancy trying to fit a new or used tuner even if I can get one. If factory reset doesn't work looks like I'll have to ditch box but what do I get in its place that has something like Custom Firmware to make it work as an advanced PVR.

Will factory reset wipe recordings and schedules if I try that? Don't fancy trying to fit a new or used tuner even if I can get one. If factory reset doesn't work looks like I'll have to ditch box but what do I get in its place that has something like Custom Firmware to make it work as an advanced PVR.
Another HDR-FOX T2. I think you should persevere for a while longer. Could you try taking the Humax to a friends house to see if it will work there? Problems with aerial cabling causing loss of one multiplex are quite common.

Will factory reset wipe recordings and schedules if I try that?
See item 4 in the reference I gave you in post 4.

4. A full system restore-to-factory-default might cure some problems. Restoring factory default will mean setting up your tuning again, and your recording schedule, but it won't erase your existing recordings (unless you let it reformat the HDD). Menu >> Settings >> Installation >> Factory Default (the pin code is "0000" unless you've changed it).

Solved - with a somewhat omelette face! Revisited the 'Poor reception problems' item and checked all connections again. The connection to the wall plate for the aerial I'd missed in the initial check and simply pulled it out and pushed it back in again and gave it a couple of twists - channel 34 restored. Thanks BH and ML for advice. You were both right of course.

The connection to the wall plate for the aerial I'd missed in the initial check and simply pulled it out and pushed it back in again and gave it a couple of twists - channel 34 restored.
It is weird how a slightly iffy connection wipes out a single multiplex.

Not really: an impedance mismatch sets up a transmission line discontinuity resulting in a resonant section which can amplify some frequencies and notch out others.

I'm not really certain how you can explain the loss of one just one frequency it without using techie talk. At least he didn't mention that it's standing waves reflected from the break/kink/whatever that does what he describes.
What you really need to test a coax run is a time domain reflectometer. Or, if you can't afford one, look for breaks (discontinuities), kinks (impedance changes) etc, with dodgy connectors being the most likely cause.
One description of standing waves in transmission lines HERE. Whether the reflected signal boosts or cancels the signal depends on the length (in multiples of wavelength) of the trans mission line and the signal frequency.

About 20 years ago I worked on an early industrial computer control system which was networked with 50 Ohm coax. We had it set up in the office with 4 or 5 Unix workstations. One of these persistently refused to connect to the network. The problem was eventually found to be that one of the coax terminators was a 75 Ohm value.
So yes, BH is right. You can get some very strange (to the uninitiated) effects with transmission lines.

I suspect we have wandered a bit off topic here.:roflmao:
Just a tiny bit!
So back on topic. I haven't lost a multiplex but do get interference on some muxes when I pop up the media list or epg. If I tweak the aerial cable slightly - all is well. The I get stuttering when changing to Talking Pictures TV (and others on same mux). Tweak the aerial cable (or pull the LAN cable out) - problem solved, then problem 1 rears its ugly head again ... If I had enough hair I'd be tearing it out!

Just a tiny bit!
So back on topic. I haven't lost a multiplex but do get interference on some muxes when I pop up the media list or epg. If I tweak the aerial cable slightly - all is well. The I get stuttering when changing to Talking Pictures TV (and others on same mux). Tweak the aerial cable (or pull the LAN cable out) - problem solved, then problem 1 rears its ugly head again ... If I had enough hair I'd be tearing it out!
So you've got coupling from your Ethernet cable to the aerial feed. Get some better cables!

Back