lost channels

sohlinux

Hello,

My trusty 13.5 year old Humax Foxsat HDR has lost many channels. The dish and cables are fine as I have tested them with a sky digi box and all the channels are present.

I read that the problem could be related to the power supply so I changed all the capacitors, even though the capacitors did have good farad and esr values.
Anyway after all that it still has about half the channels missing, I tried retuning but to no avial. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

I bought a new box ( Ariva ATV TT) but I am not pleased with it as it has no series link by default so I had to install openatv which is just over complicated and half of the epg is missing. Now I wish I had bought another humax.

It would be nice to bring the old humax back to life.

Thanks

This seems rather scatter-gun.
Many channels? Which ones? High, low, H, V? Establishing if there's a pattern might be a good first start.
Changing capacitors that don't need changing seems pointless. Did you even measure the power supply first?
<shakes head>

I had to remove the caps to test them properly, not possible to test "in circuit" and since I already removed them and had some new ones to hand I changed them. (except the 400v cap on the hot side.

I measured the power supply and it reads between 12-14v it goes up and down, and around 5v depending on which output. I dont know what the actual pinout voltages should be and couldnt find a schematic. as the voltages were going up and down maybe thats the issue but everything else on the box works fine.
, I am a electronics hobyist so couldnt diagnose further.

The missing channels are ITV, Film4, Ch4, etc etc, it doesnt matter if H or V or HD or SD. maybe its the weakest channels that are missing. and I read somewhere if the weaker channels go off then the power supply could be the issue.

After re-tuning I have a total of 66 channels and before there were over 150.

Back