Lost Favourites & Schedule

Cyberia

Hi There

I have two Humax HDR-Fox T2 boxes one 500gb and one 1tb.

I have looked at both boxes tonight and both have lost there Favourites list but more importantly they have both lost their recording schedule list. I checked the software versions and they both say version 1.03.12 dated 07-Feb-2014 so they have not updated OTA.

Has any one else had this problem this week?
or any ideas how this has happened on both boxes at the same time?

The HDR-FOX T2 loses Favourites and the schedule list when it is retuned. Have your HDR-FOX T2s been retuned by anyone his week?

Could it be this..........................................................

"prpr Well-Known Member
Looks like there's going to be another forced retune next Monday. Hopefully this is just for people in the Oxford and Ridge Hill areas who are apparently going to be changing ITV regions..."
Jan 26, 2015

I have not done a manual re-tune on either box this week.
However there is a new channel on both boxes., Channel 8 Big Centre TV - I am on the Sutton Coldfield Transmitter in the West Midlands area.
I have never had either box do a re-tune automatically before, and I have had one of the boxes for 3 years and the other about 18 months. I didn't know they could auto re-tune ?

However there is a new channel on both boxes., Channel 8 Big Centre TV - I am on the Sutton Coldfield Transmitter in the West Midlands area.
I'd have thought that was pretty conclusive as to what happened.
I didn't know they could auto re-tune ?
They can with later versions of firmware.

I can confirm that Sutton Coldfield did have a DSO Today, so if you weren't around to answer 'Later' to the question 'Auto retune now or later' then a re-tune would have been carried out, deleting your schedule and favourites

@Cyberia

From Things Every... (click) section 2:
There is a big "gotcha" with retunes. They kill off your existing recording schedule, so before you do one note down what you have set to record so you can put it back afterwards*. To view your schedule press Guide >> Schedule (yellow) then scroll down. Events shown without times are old series recordings where there is no new episode inside the next week (they get removed after 3 months inactivity). Deleting the schedule may seem like a serious oversight on the part of Humax, but actually it can be seen as the least-bad option - a retune is likely to render the existing schedule database at best inaccurate, possibly corrupt, so to save any problems occurring it is simply deleted.

There is an even bigger "gotcha" with firmware versions 1.02.27+ and retunes. Sometimes the broadcast network invites you to perform a retune, because there have been transmitter frequency changes or new services added. With firmware 1.02.20 (and previous) a message appears on-screen inviting a retune. With 1.02.27 onwards, the message appears but if you do not cancel it within a few minutes the retune continues without permission (at cost of your recording schedule and the possible need of repeating the retune manually). Call it an opt-out rather than an opt-in. You could be off making a cup of tea, and return to find it in the process of tuning - or even worse return from holiday to find it retuned and no recordings made while you were away*. It is suspected that it is even capable of retuning during the OTA search (confirmation awaited). For more information see HERE (click).

From the link HERE (click):
  • 1.02.20 (and previous) nags for a retune (when the broadcast network deems appropriate) but doesn't go ahead by default;
  • 1.02.27+ nags for a retune and goes ahead if you don't stop it;
  • Unattended retunes are a very bad idea - they delete your recording schedule;
  • Automatic update is preventable by moving your EPG refresh reminder to 4.20am, or use the disable-ota custom package;
  • If you are already on 1.02.27+ you can restore 1.02.20 by download;
  • If you wish to keep 1.02.27+ but wish to eliminate retune nags, use the disable-dso custom package.
  • disable-dso is also useful with 1.02.20, because although the retune nag would not actually result in a retune if ignored, it won't go away completely until you allow one.
Note that firmware pre-1.03.06 is no longer compatible with BBC iPlayer - see Things Every... (click) section 1.

To prevent this happening in the future, see Preventing External Events from Disturbing the CF (click).

Last edited:
Also discovered just now that mine had retuned. Annoyed I didn't see it coming as I've lost all schedule etc, but more annoyingly, it screwed up the channels as it find weaker channels first and put the ones that are actually watchable in thew 1000+ numbers (yep it fills 800 with bad reception channels too)

I live between 3 transmitters, but my aerial points to Sutton Coldfield as when I put the aerial up (for OnDigital) it was the only choice.

I find that deleting all the channels, then doing a manual tune on BBC1 HD for Sutton (Ch40?) with Network Search on will find all the right channels.

Though it didn't today and I had to manually add the Mux with BBC4 HD etc.

Just thought I'd say in case anyone was doing it all manually as I did the first few times before I saw the network search option ;)

Next to do the TV - though I rarely ever watch TV direct through that.

As BH says, install the custom firmware and stop the retune happening in future and backup your schedule just in case it does :)

As BH says, install the custom firmware and stop the retune happening in future and backup your schedule just in case it does :)

Haven't been able to pluck up the courage yet. The Hummy is the centre of the universe for my one TV family - if anything went wrong I would be skinned alive with a plastic spoon ;)

One day I will dare to do it........ one day......... ;)

There's nothing likely to go wrong, it's a well proven process. Having the CF installed does not alter the day-to-day operation or user experience in any way - it adds the ability to manage recordings, schedule, etc via web browser while the family are still using the Humax, and adds much needed defences against the occasional events which inconvenience that.

I find that deleting all the channels, then doing a manual tune on BBC1 HD for Sutton (Ch40?) with Network Search on will find all the right channels.

Though it didn't today and I had to manually add the Mux with BBC4 HD etc.
That is consistent with both a London transmitter and an Anglia transmitter that I can receive. Only the SD channels are listed in the data that the network search works from.

Black Hole sorry for hijacking, would it be possible if a "print option" or "save as a text file option" could be added to the "Scheduled Events" task in the CF as I have a large scheduled list and would like to add some new channels. Thinking about it maybe 'save as' option using the Raw Database as the text file with a possible option of reinstalling this information once a retune has been completed.

Last edited:
@Will42. As you have custom firmware, the schedule is backed up daily and can be restored after a retune. You can do a manual backup at any time, retune and restore. In the scheduled events page of Web-If at the bottom there is a button 'backup/ restore scheduled for recordings/ events' - click on this to access the menu.

WiKi info. on Backup and Restore page HERE, Note that the favourites list is only displayed as it is being generated, but the scheduled program names are viewable at any time

Besides which, the WebIF schedule page is just a web page, and your web browser has "print" options! A "text only" display option might be handy though.

Last edited:
For information: there was a bug in the schedule restore process which (rarely) prevented the occasional entry being restored (the bug has been fixed now), and I was making an independent record of the schedule to compare with the restored schedule to play "spot the difference". This I did by the simple expedient of capturing screen shots of the WebIF schedule listing (Windows: Fn+PrtSc then paste the clipboard into Paint and save to file; iOS: Home+Power, screenshot saved to camera roll).

However, as the WebIF saves daily automatic backups plus manual backups of the schedule which can be inspected and restored at will (and even the auto-schedule-restore package which can restore the latest backup if the schedule is found to be empty at boot - usually the result of a retune or factory reset, either of which can occur unrequested), there is little need for an independent record of your schedule.

The restore process is not a dumb copy-back of the raw database (which could contain incorrect data if there has been a retune). The WebIF uses the old data to make a best guess when it doesn't match the new tuning configuration (for example: services sometimes change LCN - that won't fool the WebIF restore but it would be an invalid entry if restored as-is).

That last point is why I wouldn't recommend the auto restore package for most people. A manual restore will show you events that cannot be restored allowing for manual resolution. Disable-dso has proven to be effective against unattended retunes.

Back