Lost file...

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I wonder if I can get any tips for this:

I have a 4.2GB .mpg file converted from a HiDef .ts using the WebIF extract utility. My PC has NTFS as its system partition, but FAT32 as its data partitions, so I used the WebIF download option to copy the file to the root of the system partition C:.

The download used up about 70% of my remaining free space, and yet now I can't find the file anywhere! I have tried searching for *.mpg, no luck.

Any suggestions? Have I fallen foul of user permissions or something (I was logged in as a non-admin user)? How can I get my free space back if I can't find the file to delete??

You may be able to do a Windows search e.g. something like Start >> Search >> all Files/folders >> what size is it and specify a minimum file size to search for, so you don't have to know the name of the file you are searching for, just that it's bigger than say 3Gig

Download something else and take note of where it saves it if possible.

It could have placed it your temporary files, try emptying the cache in IE.

You can also search for files changed after a certain date then select the Size column to show the largest file at the top.

I've found it now, skulking in one of those virtual folders Win7 creates to stop you corrupting anything in the OS.

Start >> Search did no good, what actually cracked it was logging in as admin and running a full file listing in DOpus (my File Explorer replacement).

Back