Lost Network Connection

Dodgexander

Up until I updated a few packages a few days ago I have had a flawless Wi-Fi connection on my device. However now it refuses to connect to my router.

It no longer auto-connects like it use to and upon scanning, it doesn't find any SSID's.

My adaptor isn't a supported one (Tenda W311U), but it worked fine before.

Any idea what could be wrong? I'm running the CFW 2.18 firmware.

It's worth testing the dongle on another device, say a desktop computer / laptop (with the Wi-Fi turned off) to see if it works on that

No such luck sadly.

I spent today troubleshooting the issue.

- The adaptor works on my laptop and connects to my network fine.
- In the HDR, the adaptor can search and find networks far away, just not the two in my house.
- I've installed the new 2.19 firmware and the problem is still the same.
- Uninstalled any wireless packages I installed.

Its so strange because apart from the packages I have changed nothing

We have a long record of unexplained/unresolved WiFi issues, and unfortunately this appears to be another of them. Hopefully they will build up into a pattern, but in the mean time I continue to recommend wired or HomePlug over WiFi, or to use an external WiFi adapter (eg TP-Link TL-WR702N).

No such luck sadly.

I spent today troubleshooting the issue.

- The adaptor works on my laptop and connects to my network fine.
- In the HDR, the adaptor can search and find networks far away, just not the two in my house.
- I've installed the new 2.19 firmware and the problem is still the same.
- Uninstalled any wireless packages I installed.

Its so strange because apart from the packages I have changed nothing
Can the laptop see your network from where your HDR-FOX is located? It could be that a signal from a neighbour is causing interference. Have you tried changing the channel on your router, or have you done so recently? I believe I have read in a thread that the Humax does not work with WiFi on some channels, but I can't remember where.

Edit. Here is the link:
http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/trixe...eless-network-now-fixed-info-for-others.1343/

I'm not sure if the finding regarding channels 1-4 was debunked subsequently, it is still noted in the wiki. WiFi interference, or other interference in the 2.4 GHz band could be an issue though.

Sorry, I don't seem to have posted the link in my previous message correctly

Can the laptop see your network from where your HDR-FOX is located? It could be that a signal from a neighbour is causing interference. Have you tried changing the channel on your router, or have you done so recently? I believe I have read in a thread that the Humax does not work with WiFi on some channels, but I can't remember where.

Edit. Here is the link:
http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/trixe...eless-network-now-fixed-info-for-others.1343/

Ok that was indeed the problem! My router was set to automatically change the channel. It was on Channel 1.

I changed it to channel 13 - Still no wireless signal found.

As a last grasp I decided to try a random, 8. This time it worked!!

So it seems there is a problem with it picking up certain channels after all!

Thanks so much!

I have a 2.4 GHz videosender which wipes out some WiFi channels, but you won't pick this up using inSSIDer and, for all I know, this may have caused my neighbours some problems! Also, the US only allows use of channels 1 to 11 and some WiFi dongles sourced in UK can't use channels 12 and 13: this has had me tearing my hair out before now! Troubleshooting WiFi can be frustrating.

As a footnote, I changed my router to channel 1 and found that both my HDRs and my HD (all with Edimax dongles) connected without any trouble. Perhaps the channel 1 to 4 problem is only seen with certain dongles? It is anybody's guess.

Back