Lost picture and recordings

ruurik

Hi folks,

My parents have bought a Humax 1100S freesat box from Amazon to replace their old Humax Foxsat HDR T2. I setup it up for them yesterday and got a call today to say that when they switched it on this afternoon, their recordings from yesterday had been wiped. Sure enough when I had a look at recordings, there was nothing there. Is this a known bug?

The second problem is, when they went into Media Share and on to their NAS box, everything played ok, then they exited back to live TV and the picture had gone blank. The sound of the TV channel was playing but no picture. The user interface popped up when I pressed the remote; I could see the amount of time left on the programme and I could go on to the Humax menu to change channels or use any of the other options. I just couldn't get a picture on any channel. I tried switching off the TV and Humax but no luck.

My parents also have a Humax freeview box so I switched over to that and the picture was there ok.

I googled a solution and read that someone had the opposite problem where there was no sound but they had picture and the solution was to turn off Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) on their Samsung TV. I did this on their Samsung TV (UE55JS9000T), then turned their TV off and on and it fixed the problem.

I thought I'd test it again this evening by going back into Media Share but when I exited, I noticed it had turned off the picture again. As Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) was still off on the TV, I didn't know what to do. So to save being moaned at the for the time being, I've put their old Humax Foxsat HDR T2 back in place.

Does anyone know what could be going on with either problem?

Thanks a million.
Rich

Nothing positive for your faults, but why on earth did they want to replace a working T2?

I wanted a freesat box for my own apartment and told my parents I'd probably just get something cheap. They said they'd buy a newer Humax for themselves and give me the old Foxsat. So it's not chucked out or anything. But anyway, it's back with them now until I have solutions for their 1100s problems.

Anyone know how to fix the problems with the 1100s? Thanks a mill.

My parents have bought a Humax 1100S freesat box from Amazon to replace their old Humax Foxsat HDR T2. I setup it up for them yesterday and got a call today to say that when they switched it on this afternoon, their recordings from yesterday had been wiped. Sure enough when I had a look at recordings, there was nothing there. Is this a known bug?
I don't remember anything specific coming up on this forum, but you could have a look through existing topics (in this section) to check.

The sound of the TV channel was playing but no picture. The user interface popped up when I pressed the remote; I could see the amount of time left on the programme and I could go on to the Humax menu to change channels or use any of the other options. I just couldn't get a picture on any channel. I tried switching off the TV and Humax but no luck.
This sounds very odd, and I don't see what it could have to do with CEC. With the HDR-FOX, if the picture goes off or freezes but the sound continues, that usually indicates that the box has crashed. If the HDMI failed you wouldn't get sound either (you aren't using separate sound are you?).

This appears to be a failure mode where the incoming video stream is not making it to the HDMI interface, but the audio stream is - so it's a failure in the video decoder or the routing presumably initiated by entering (and exiting) the media player, and almost certainly a software fault. We had lots of software faults on HDR-FOX in the early days, some of which were fixed by Humax in updates (usually accompanied by new faults), some we found work-arounds for, and some we fixed ourselves (the Royal "we", that is).

Presumably rebooting the box restored normal operation.

Ah, what confused me was that you said 'Foxsat HDR T2' and I jumped to the wrong conclusion that you were talking about the Freeview HDR Fox T2 and didn't twig the 1100 was Freesat. Hence my question.:oops: But should also have noticed the section heading as well.. I wish I was dead.:roflmao:

There is a known bug where if you try and look at the list of recordings immediately after the box has booted then they appear to be missing. Putting the box into standby; leaving it standby for a short period (say a minute) and then restarting and again awaiting for a short period before looking at the list should see the recordings return.

Thanks for the replies everyone. No worries Trev. :)

Regarding the recordings getting deleted, I'm going to record plenty of stuff overnight and see what happens. Hopefully it was just the bug MartinLiddle mentioned. Thanks for your help Martin.

Regarding the blank screen after using Media Share:
I've tried the 1100s on a different TV (still a Samsung but a different model) with a new HDMI cable. The screen went blank again after using Media Share. I could still see the UI and change channels and I could still hear the channel sound but no picture again. If I turn the 1100s off and on again too soon (even if I wait for the red standby light to come on for a few seconds), the picture doesn't come back. However, if I wait for the hard drive to spin down and stop all noises coming from the box then it will come back with the TV picture on again.

If I turn the 1100s off and on again too soon (even if I wait for the red standby light to come on for a few seconds), the picture doesn't come back. However, if I wait for the hard drive to spin down and stop all noises coming from the box then it will come back with the TV picture on again.
Yes, you have to wait for it to finish housekeeping and shut down properly before the next turn-on will cause a proper reboot. If it has lights on the Ethernet socket, these will probably go out when it shuts down. Ditto the power on a USB socket (if you have something plugged in that has a light). We have to do the same to clear HDMI problems on HDR-FOX, although I think your problems have a different cause (even if reinitialising everything solves it).

Thanks BlackHole. I'm going to give Humax a call to see if they can tell me anything useful and if they can, I'll add it here.

They asked me to do a factory reset and it worked. I can now go into Media Share and come back out and the TV picture is back! Woohoo! Thanks everyone.

Back