Lost wired Lan connection to Humax

MymsMan

Ad detector
I have only used direct wired LAN connections to my Humax since it is less than a metre from my router (and I don't own a wireless dongle)

Since Monday eve (RS reports "Last seen: 9:51 pm on Monday, 19th July 2021") I have been unable to connect to it via webif

There was no change in wiring or settings prior to the failure.

It still responds normally to the remote control and is recording/playing normally

Checking with the remote and Settings->System-> Internet Setting shows Network Disconnected

I have tried Rebooting Humax and Router, Different cable, Different router port without success.

Following one Humax reboot it did show connected but with a 169.... address rather than the usual 192, address but it still couldn't be accessed and I haven't been able to recreate that scenario

Any suggestions?

1. Does the router work with other units (by wired connection)? If so, I guess that rules out the router as the source of the problem.

2. If you do a DHCP Apply (from the Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> LAN menu), do the Ethernet port lights flash? If not, I guess that fingers the HDR-FOX's Ethernet adapter.
Running DHCP with a network disconnected should result in the default IP address 192.0.2.100.

Does the router work with other units (by wired connection)? If so, I guess that rules out the router as the source of the problem.
Yes
If you do a DHCP Apply (from the Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> LAN menu), do the Ethernet port lights flash? If not, I guess that fingers the HDR-FOX's Ethernet adapter.
Yellow light flashing continuously close to socket
When clicking on Apply no obvious difference in lights (difficult to see without major relocation), Screen shows Please wait... for about a minute before reporting Network connection failed, IP address shows 0.0.0.0

Screen shows Please wait... for about a minute before reporting Network connection failed
That suggests some kind of network activity is being detected. I've just tried to replicate your situation and if the Ethernet is simply pulled it reports "Network connection is unplugged" in a matter of moments.

IP address shows 0.0.0.0
Curiously, after I disconnected the Ethernet (to my HomePlug) and went into the Configure LAN page, it already had 192.0.2.100 as its IP Address despite being set to Manual and its normal address being 192.168.1.11. Strange, as the WebIF has been working. When I reconnected a "Network connected" notification appeared autonomously, and a DHCP address was fetched (despite the setting previously being Manual) – I think it had been retrying the DHCP command until I connected the Ethernet.

Checking with the remote and Settings->System-> Internet Setting shows Network Disconnected
If I configure an IP address with the wrong subnet (ie the Ethernet is connected but it can't communicate), the status still says "Network connected". Unplugging again produces "Network disconnected"... but here's the curious thing: as above, the IP Address is shown as 192.0.2.100 despite being set to manual and not having been asked to perform a DHCP.

Having reconnected, the information did not update until I exited the Internet Setting menu and re-entered. At that point the IP Address displayed had reverted to what I set previously. This is new information (I think): unless a network connection is detected, the displayed IP Address reverts to default despite there being a manual address configured (and still stored). This can't be anything to do with WebIF advanced settings trying to overload it, because the manual address I configured is fictitious.

Have you tried manual configuration or have you been relying on the router to provide DHCP? Could it be that the DHCP server in the router has failed?

Another curious thing: I restored the correct IP address, and Apply, and it reports "Network connection has failed" despite me now being able to access the WebIF! Checked again, and still "failed". Weird!

As we know, 192.0.2.100 is built into the settop program and appears as a default (@af123 observation; examples here, here).

The feature where it defaults to a known IP address if the manual configuration failed could have been very useful while debugging the network connection GUI on Humax's subcontractors' development LAN?

I have an HDR set to DHCP but it is connected to a network switch and the switch is connected to the router which is also the DHCP server. If I disconnect the router so there is no DHCP server and then power up the HDR it then uses a 169.254.x.x auto ip address.

I think it has to see an active link for it not to use the default 192.0.2.100 IP address.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I was able to confirm that when the LAN cable was unplugged that the Humax did report it as unplugged very quickly so indicating the problem was related to the Router connection,
Looking more closely at the Router settings I discovered that it had the Humax defined as 192.168.1.6 which I have never used instead of the normal 192.168.1.67

Deleting the incorrect definition allowed the Humax to connect and I am now back in business :doublethumbsup:

It is mystery how definitions that have been working unchanged for many months across multiple router and humax restarts would suddenly fail mid-evening with no associated restarts or configuration changes.

I may have to file it under Unexplained Network Events but hopefully I will remember what to do should it occur again

Looking more closely at the Router settings I discovered that it had the Humax defined as 192.168.1.6 which I have never used instead of the normal 192.168.1.67
Do you have your router set to somehow not allow traffic to/from white-listed IP addresses? If not, I don't understand why the HDR didn't simply work on some other address (which you would have been aware of on the Internet Setting menu).

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I was able to confirm that when the LAN cable was unplugged that the Humax did report it as unplugged very quickly so indicating the problem was related to the Router connection,
Looking more closely at the Router settings I discovered that it had the Humax defined as 192.168.1.6 which I have never used instead of the normal 192.168.1.67....
Did you have the correct settings in the CFW WebIF/network settings? If so, that is odd that multiple reboots didn't establish your preferred settings.

If so, that is odd that multiple reboots didn't establish your preferred settings.
They weren't my preferred settings! I have no idea where the router got the address 192.168.1.6 from I had never specified it and it is outside the DHCP range

Back