Loving it, and already have some queries...

neilski

After a couple of years of meaning to get around to installing the CF on my HDR, I finally did it today, and wow, it's great! :)
I've already been playing with a few bits and pieces (e.g. freed up quite a bit of space with shrink and then auto-shrink), and plenty more to come.

Two queries for the experts:
1: in the media browser, folders have little red circles with a number inside. I initially thought the number was the file-count within, or maybe the unread file-count, until I realised that wasn't the case at all - some folders with only a few files showed big numbers like "55" or "81". So what does the number in the red circle/disc mean? Have I tripped over a bug?
2: my first thought was to review the source code for the web-if, and then I realised I couldn't find it. I found some source packages via a link from another post here (at hummypkg website, can't post URL cos I'm a noob) but that doesn't include the web interface package, or another one I was keen to read (the fan package, which I plan to install but would like to tweak). Is the source for either of those available?

Anyway - absolutely EXCELLENT work guys, keep it up. And if it's possible to help, consider me keen...

All the code is there, one way or another.

The number is the unwatched count, but it can be out if sync especially to start with. IIRC there is a diagnostic to reset it.

All the code is there, one way or another.
Awesome, thanks. Am I being really thick, or is there no link to it anywhere obvious? Pointers gratefully received...
The number is the unwatched count, but it can be out if sync especially to start with. IIRC there is a diagnostic to reset it.
Aha... I guess the meaning of the red disk + number is documented somewhere I just didn't spot? I had been wondering if it might get out of sync somehow and had a look for "hidden" (.abc) files within each folder, but failed to find any, so I'm intrigued to know where that state is stored...

The number of watched and unwatched recordings in a particular folder is maintained by the standard Humax software as part of the hidden file called .series but it does sometimes get out of sync. You can fix this on an individual folder in the web interface media browser by clicking OPT+ on the directory and choosing the Reset New Flag option.

To fix it everywhere, run the resetnew diagnostic.

The web interface is written in an interpreted language called Jim (a TCL variant) so it is readable. All of the files are under /mod/webif on your Humax and the code for fixing this unwatched flag is in /mod/webif/lib/ts.class in a method called resetnew.

For neilski's benefit:

The Jim files can be browsed via the WebIF >> Diagnostics page, click File Editor and then Open for a navigable tree structure of the files on the Humax. However, it is significantly easier to use Windows Explorer: install the samba package, then the Humax will show up on your network as network storage which can be browsed and viewed from your PC just like any other network storage.

Beware of editing anything in a Linux/Unix system from DOS/Windows, the line end codes are different (Linux = LF, Windows = CR+LF) and if the edit puts an unwanted CR in things can break. Some viewers/editors are safe, but you need to check.

The WebIF >> Diagnostics page is also where you can run the resetnew diagnostic.

Last edited:
The number of watched and unwatched recordings in a particular folder is maintained by the standard Humax software as part of the hidden file called .series but it does sometimes get out of sync. You can fix this on an individual folder in the web interface media browser by clicking OPT+ on the directory and choosing the Reset New Flag option.
Ah, cool. I had actually already looked in .series with hexdump, but the numbers didn't match the unread count so I didn't make the connection. Now (woohoo, source code! :)) I can see that .series contains both the number recorded and the number watched, which also explains how the problem happens I reckon - my wife has a habit of watching her series recordings during the broadcast (i.e. live), and then deleting the recordings without ever watching. Thus, num_recs goes up but num_played doesn't go up to match.
I have little TCL experience and none at all of Jim but hey, that's what google is for ;)

For neilski's benefit:

The Jim files can be browsed via the WebIF >> Diagnostics page, click File Editor and then Open for a navigable tree structure of the files on the Humax. However, it is significantly easier to use Windows Explorer: install the samba package, then the Humax will show up on your network as network storage which can be browsed and viewed from your PC just like any other network storage.
[...]
The WebIF >> Diagnostics page is also where you can run the resetnew diagnostic.
Nice one, ta. I hadn't figured out how to use the file editor yet.
I have been planning to install samba/cifs, probably will get around to it soon. In fact though, I'm just as happy using vi on the box itself. (I seem to recall seeing some mention of vim so I must check that out). The shell is a bit hamstrung (no history substitution for example) though it does the job pretty well, and I guess the memory limitations will have driven the feature set down (assuming busybox even offers history substitution). [EDIT: I just realised that a bash package is available. Yay.]

So far btw, I can't find the resetnew diagnostic in the list. No biggie, as I've already reset one or two folders "by hand" using the Opt+ method.

Thanks again for the help guys.
By the way, I have been planning to sign up to the wiki - once I do, is there any protocol about who edits what, or can I get on with adding some notes to explain some of the stuff you've helped me with already?

Last edited:
I can't find the resetnew diagnostic in the list. No biggie, as I've already reset one or two folders "by hand" using the Opt+ method.
There is a full list of available diagnostic commands in the wiki HERE.
By the way, I have been planning to sign up to the wiki - once I do, is there any protocol about who edits what, or can I get on with adding some notes to explain some of the stuff you've helped me with already?
It would appear that you have not read the wiki (or at least the part about diagnostics). Maybe you should do that before adding stuff that may already be in there.

Agreed, thanks. Indeed I hadn't found that page. I had also misinterpreted the GUI - I stupidly thought it was listing ALL available commands in the drop-down list, as well as giving me the opportunity to enter them by hand...

Only the most useful and least potentially damaging "diagnostic" routines are in the pick list. In general, they are used under guidance from those with relevant experience and hence only when advised. New ones are added when necessary on a case by case basis (and may be removed again).

Perhaps it would be helpful to have direct links from the webif GUI pages to the relevant WiKi pages

Maybe so, but it would be quite an undertaking to decide where, and to what content, you would need to create the links. It would be unfair to expect af123, the sole author of the web interface to undertake such a task. Possibly you could prepare the edits you propose to the web interface pages, and submit these for approval and inclusion in future releases if you believe it would be of benefit.

Might not be such a massive task. The wiki statistics say it only has 44 pages of actual content, of which I'm sure some are now irrelevant for one reason or another. Maybe links to a mere dozen or so pages would be enough...
But yes, best way would be for people to provide patches of some kind to af123 - is there any existing mechanism for that?

I noticed last night that the package info text within the webif GUI isn't the same as the info on hummypkg - it's similar but clearly different text. Not at the same PC to check right now but I seem to recall that there was a third version of the text somewhere else (maybe wiki?). Removing/reconciling duplicated info might be another useful service that could be provided by helpers, unless the text is intentionally distinct.

I think you would need to know af123's opinion on the idea of Web-If to Wiki links before going any further, BTW there are 62 Wiki pages, I'm not sure why the 'Content Pages' statistic is reporting 44

Agreed, it goes without saying that af123 would have to be on board. And that's weird about the wiki reporting 44 when it's listing 62 "content" pages...

Only a few web pages that are not fully self explanatory would benefit from links to the wiki and in most cases the wiki pages already exist so I don't think it would be a horrendous maintenance task but of course the idea won't go anywhere unless af123 is willing to contemplate adding the idea to his already extensive to-do list.

A few pages where I think wiki links would be beneficial are
Diagnostics page - a link to the list of available diagnostic packages
Packages page - a link to the package notes pages
Sweeper rules page - link to Sweeper user guide

+1 to your first two sugggestions (I have the package notes open in a tab beside the packages web page :)). Haven't tried sweeper yet (sounds nice) or I'd probably agree with that one too :thumbsup:

Back