Low optical sound volume on HDR-2000T

notac

I have just installed a new HDR-2000T to relpace our old Humax 9200.

The TV is connected via HDMI and I have set the TV sound to zero.
The sound output is sent to our Sony Home Cinema DVD system via the Optical connections.
I have turned the Humax volume to MAX (20) but the volume on the Sony now has to be turned up to around 24 to get the same level as we got on 18 with the PVR9200 ?

Is this normal or can I tweak the HDR-2000T to deliver a higher sound output.

The problem is that when I use the Sony as a DVD player the sound BLASTS out and I have to remember to turn the volume down !

Do you have the Humax sound preference set to multi-channel or stereo? It might make a difference.

Many thanks for the suggestion.

However, I already tried the sound settings - it was Multi-channel by default so I changed it to Stereo but it made no difference.
I therefore re-set it to multi-channel.

Any more ?

I'm not sure what model of Sony TV you have but on mine (KDL-40NX710 about 3 years old) you can adjust the volume offset for each input source.
For instance I have the Humax HDMI source set to +2..
The facility is on the "options" button when you have the particular source selected.

It allows you to adjust the relative volume between different input sources.
EDIR: my Blueray HDMI is set to +0.

This is an issue with the Humax I have a Panasonic TV and the TV volume has to be put at just less than half humax box at sound level 10 to get an acceptable level down side on this if I then change to my DVD recorder or Roku box and forget to adjust TV volume it blows me out the room :lol: could have been a deal breaker if I had known this in advance. I always read good things about Humax boxes but this is an issue that needs to be addressed by Humax

If I am reading your post correctly, you are saying the Humax volume is set to 10, but it goes up to 20 so why can't you increase the Humax volume?

The sound is a digital stream on the HDMI cable. It is unlikely to be significantly different from any other digital source. Are you certain the TV settings are not discriminating?

The sound is a digital stream on the HDMI cable. It is unlikely to be significantly different from any other digital source. Are you certain the TV settings are not discriminating?
I have at the moment a DVD recorder , Humax , I also had a Virgin Media box all are or in the case of VM box were connected by HDMI the Humax is by far the worst

The TV is connected via HDMI and I have set the TV sound to zero.

The sound output is sent to our Sony Home Cinema DVD system via the Optical connections.

I have turned the Humax volume to MAX (20) but the volume on the Sony now has to be turned up to around 24 to get the same level as we got on 18 with the PVR9200 ?
Resurrecting an old post, but....

Yes, I've noticed a lower level on the optical output.

Connection is to a Denon Home Theatre system.

Digital V1 coax input is from the TV, which itself is coming from the Humax (Humax vol. controls this level)

Digital V2 optical input is direct from the Humax optical output.

With the TV speaker muted, selecting V1 the sound on the Denon is definitely noticeably louder than the optical V2

Also when un-muting the TV whilst V2 is selected results in a slight echo effect, so there's presumably a fractional delay in processing the optical signal

Just my observations.... :)

Back