Mainly failed recording

Davidja

I have recently moved from a sky box where although far from 100% efficient I find that my human OCR fails on around half the recordings which makes it pretty unusable. Reading the forums here suggests things like not allowing overnight software updates, etc. I'd appreciate any advice that may assist a more positive recording outcome.
The device has been updated with the custom firmware but this is not the cause.

Hi Martin, Sorry I'm at a loss I put in my details SG138LW no 11 and it returns a number of transmitters - I have no idea what
"2. Having decided on a transmitter,note down the six or seven channel numbers for the mutiplexes (shown in the column headed N and on a darker grey background). If you are in a post DSO area carefully mark which one of these channel numbers carries the HD Mux."
Means.

Thanks David

Okay, can you at least tell roughly which direction it's pointing in and whether the bars are horizontal or vertical??

Something you can do without going outside:

Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection, press OK and tell us the list of channel numbers, then select each one in turn and tell us the reported signal strength and quality.

Sorry currently living in rented property think it's a communal aerial as I can't see it.
Here's the data I can give you.
Ch 22 strength 85% quality 100%
Ch 23 strength 81% quality 100%
Ch 25 strength 86% quality 100%
Ch 26 strength 86% quality 100%
Ch 28 strength 85% quality 100%
Ch 30 strength 83% quality 100%

Thanks

OK, that's Crystal Palace and you are not mistuned at all.

I can only suggest you use auto-padding instead of Accurate Recording (2 mins pre-padding, 5 mins post-padding) and see how you get on. The background info I referenced before will fill you in.

The image quality is fantastic i therefore would be surprised if the problem is caused by signal strength. I read somewhere not to allow the Humax nightly updates as that can cause recording failures. Also to set the timer on and off each night. Could these resolve things? I can't believe that a 50% record failure can be normal or acceptable. Thanks for advice.

No, nothing to do with signal strength - we talk about manual tuning so as to eliminate multiple transmitters which can confuse the EPG data and result in lost recordings. Of course, being digital the image quality will always be fantastic (especially on Hidef) until you get no image at all.

Blocking the OTA update search is about preserving a known firmware rather than allowing a newer (possibly buggy) firmware to be installed. In particular, 1.02.20 does not allow automatic retunes - and retunes destroy your recording schedule. Any more recent firmware retunes behind your back. All the background to this is in "Things Every HD/HDR-FOX Owner Should Know" (link in my signature panel at the bottom of this post).

You have not mentioned your recording settings - are you on AR or padding? If AR then try padding. The reliability of AR will depend on which services you are in the habit of recording. It may be coincidental, but my AR became much more reliable after my box went through a factory reset (Menu >> Settings >> Installation >> Factory Default) - but beware that this will return it to the unconfigured state requiring a retune and full setting up (it does not delete your existing recordings).

Here's the data I can give you.
Ch 22 strength 85% quality 100%
Ch 23 strength 81% quality 100%
Ch 25 strength 86% quality 100%
Ch 26 strength 86% quality 100%
Ch 28 strength 85% quality 100%
Ch 30 strength 83% quality 100%
When you say "Here's the data I can give you" is there data that you cannot give us? Where there other numbers displayed on *** Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection, press OK *** which did not give any strength or quality and therefore that is why you did not mention them?

Not sure if this is relevant but I have the custom firmware installed. My software version says fhtcp 1.02.29 with an update date of 05/07/2012.
How would I know if it were using multiple transmitters?
Not sure where I can find what my recording settings are. I can find the padding menu which has no padding time set, does this mean its AR? Thanks

When you say "Here's the data I can give you" is there data that you cannot give us? Where there other numbers displayed on *** Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection, press OK *** which did not give any strength or quality and therefore that is why you did not mention them?
No there was no other data that was everything.

Yes, that means AR (no padding set).

Multiple transmitters: the channel list you gave me corresponds with Crystal Palace on the information page with your postcode inserted, no other channels so no other transmitters.

Just clutching at straws, are you pressing 'OK' when selecting programmes from the EPG?

I can't believe that a 50% record failure can be normal or acceptable.
Our recording failure rate using AR and recording perhaps 10 to 15 things a day is about 1 every few months so something is wrong. Can you give some examples of program recordings (time, date channel) that succeeded and some that failed

Back