Maintenance mode and CFW 3.03

I have had various problems recently with my HDR Fox T2 - glitches on HDMI output mainly. After changing HDMI cable I plucked up courage and installed CFW 3.03 which seemed to solve the problems. However, the day after "the cure" the unit developed a crash reboot loop. I followed the advice on this forum, used the flush utility, reloaded CFW 3.03 but the crash reboot loop remained. I have now successfully installed the Mainteance boot software and am currently running fix-disk using putty for telnet.
Some questions:
What are the three partitions used for? sda1 seems small, sda3 is bigger and sda2 is I presume the video storage area.
I have noted that fix-disk has reported already for sda3 and sda1 that *****FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED******** , that sda3 is 0% fragmented and that sda1 is 13.3% fragmented (non contiguous)
It looks as if sda2 will need to continue overnight so I will post log tomorrow.

From the display and my network connection it seems as though the maintenance boot firmware contains CFW3.03. Is that correct and, assuming that fix-disk exits having fixed any HD problems do I need to reload the normal CFW3.03 file or do I leave things as they are?
Thanks for any interim advice
Ron

Sda1 houses the EPG data, sda2 the recordings, sda3 is for iPlayer/ YouTube temporary downloads. The 'system was modified' message is probably because it is the first time you've run fix-disk and it will have created 'lost+found' folders in each partition. When fix-disk finishes just reboot from telnet and you are done. The custom firmware will still be installed.

Unfortunately there's no reason installing custom firmware or running fix-disk will cure HDMI problems.

Thanks for the help, Monty.
sda2 finished, having fixed innumerable inode problems but, sadly, after the machine rebooted it was back in the reboot loop. I get START SYSTEM followed by the CFW Version on the front panel, Humax splash screen, then a green screen which goes black and front panel goes back to START SYSTEM! I guess it is a genuine hardware fault that falls into the scrap category. I will have another go at reloading CFW. Any other ideas welcomed. :devilish:

What you should do is try to identify whether the HDD is the cause of your problems. If disconnected, and the rest of the system is OK, the HDR-FOX will continue to function but without recording capability.

Steps for Resolving HDR-FOX Crash/Reboot Issues (click)

It is certainly looks as though it was the Hard Disk. This morning I switched on and instead of going into a loop the front panel showed WIZARD.
Before doing anything else I used the web interface and have copied all the log files and run the General diagnostic.
The general diagnostic gave the following result:
Running: general

*** Directory Structure ***

Checking /mod partition type : Pass
Checking /mod filesystem type : Pass
Checking /mod/tmp directory exists : Pass
Checking /mod/var/opkg/tmp is a directory : Pass
Checking /mod/boot is a symlink : Pass
Checking /var/lib/humaxtv/mod is a directory : Pass
Checking /var/lib/humaxtv_backup/mod is a directory : Fail: -rwxr-xr-x 1 root default 151 Apr 8 2011 /var/lib/humaxtv_backup/mod
Checking /mod/boot/2 is a symlink : Pass
Checking /mod/boot links correctly : Pass
Checking /mod/boot/2 links correctly : Pass

>>> Ending diagnostic general

I do wonder if the failure in line 7 is or was significant.

With the log files the significant one was fix-disk which ran to around 7000 lines, nearly all relating to inode errors on sda2
eg Inode 698567 is in use, but has dtime set. Fix? yes
and Inode 700028, i_size is 4539628425446424576, should be 0. Fix? yes
Inode 700028, i_blocks is 1056964608, should be 0. Fix? yes
and Inode 698523 (...) has invalid mode (00). Clear? yes

sda1 and sda3 all passed the tests.

Having copied all the log files I then switched on the TV and completed the setup WIZARD which has resulted in a working (for now?) Humax - on HDMI output as well as on analogue output.
As far as I can tell none of the recorded programmes has been lost. Obviously, with a working unit I have not removed the HD but if it does fall over into reboot loops again then that will be my first test.

With CFW3.03 I can, at least, monitor what is happening and look at log files occasionally.

Hopefully - I have a result - Thanks for all your work with the CFW and the forum and WiKi.

Ron

Checking /var/lib/humaxtv_backup/mod is a directory : Fail: -rwxr-xr-x 1 root default 151 Apr 8 2011 /var/lib/humaxtv_backup/modI do wonder if the failure in line 7 is or was significant.
Not to the original problem but you should run the boot2fix diagnostic to repair this followed by the fix-flash-packages one.

Thanks for that - I saw all the diagnostic packages but they meant nothing to me. Are they described in the WiKi? I am a total beginner in Linux so don't meddle in things I don't understand - not at my advanced age of 74, anyway!

Yeah, they're here: http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Diagnostic_Utilities
at least the ones that are generally useful and will likely stick around.

The original idea of them was to save people from having to drop into the command line to check things so some of them are very specific to individual users.

Almost a week now and just one isolated glitch! My first attempt to play back a new recording seemed fine but after about 10 minutes the picture flickered and then I got 4 identical pictures with green borders. Once I had realised that this was not a transmission gimmick I switched the Human off again and it booted up without issues and is still working well. Picture and sound are ok over hdmi.

Back