Major issue with installing CF HDR FOX T2 1.03.12 mod 3.02

@Will42 - appreciate you have a working system now but please could you give this one a go?

http://hpkg.tv/rpc/cfwget.html?file=HDR_FOX_T2_CFW3_Test_Kernel.zip

@ed209 confirms that this fixes his NTFS + spin-down issue and based on the logs you posted earlier it should fix yours too.
If you can confirm that then it can form the basis of CFW 3.03.

Thanks.

What would I need to do to try this?
Is it just a matter of sticking the contents on a USB drive and boot to update on top of exiting CF 3.00, or do I need to remove the current build first?
Is it the same process to revert back to the current version, or again would the test kernel need removing first.

What would I need to do to try this?
Is it just a matter of sticking the contents on a USB drive and boot to update on top of exiting CF 3.00, or do I need to remove the current build first?
Is it the same process to revert back to the current version, or again would the test kernel need removing first.

I see from your earlier posts that you have CF 3.00 installed and working for some time before the fault. My fault occurred on first install, I suggest that you install CF 3.02 then install the test kernel (I expect af123 will use this to create a newer mod version) you would be no worst off and as you suggest you could revert back to the earlier version.

Hi af123,
What changes have you been making to the kernel?
Do you think it's worth me trying it?
Some background first:

The HDR kernel source which is available for download from the Humax open source site is stblinux-2.6.18-7.1_r3761.
stblinux is a Broadcom Linux distribution modified for their SoC. Humax took stblinux 2.6.18-7.1 (which is based on Linux 2.6.18) and updated it, adding the revision number to the end (r3761). I'm now sure that r3761 isn't the final revision of the code for the HDR kernel that was included in official releases but, for most people, it has been working perfectly well since CFW 3 was released in July 2014.

The kernel source that is available for download for the HD-Fox T2 looks newer but a lot of the differences from the HDR source are probably to do with the different platform. There's also a newer version of stblinux-2.6.18 from Broadcom, version 7.8.

For this latest test kernel, I have back-ported specific changes from both of these sources into the 7.1 kernel that we have. Specifically those to do with disk initialisation and the SATA driver that's used (interestingly it's the Apple Serverworks driver, sata_svw). I surmised that any changes that Humax had to make in these areas to fix problems most likely came directly from Broadcom and would be rolled up in future stblinux releases.

I can't update to the 7.8 kernel because the proprietary Broadcom kernel module that we have is built against 7.1; I'm also a little cautious about it as a lot of the changes from 7.1 to 7.8 were to introduce support for NAND flash (over the NOR flash that the HDR/HD machines have) and for newer revision boards.

I'd give it a go - can't hurt and might fix the problem.

@Will42 - appreciate you have a working system now but please could you give this one a go?

http://hpkg.tv/rpc/cfwget.html?file=HDR_FOX_T2_CFW3_Test_Kernel.zip

@ed209 confirms that this fixes his NTFS + spin-down issue and based on the logs you posted earlier it should fix yours too.
If you can confirm that then it can form the basis of CFW 3.03.

Thanks.

Hi af123,
I've just installed the test kernel on top of 3.02. If I run the dmesg tool should this give a similar output as shown in previous posts? Mine doesn't show any output!

Hi af123,
I've just installed the test kernel on top of 3.02. If I run the dmesg tool should this give a similar output as shown in previous posts? Mine doesn't show any output!
No, unlike the previous one, that test kernel doesn't have debugging enabled so dmesg won't show anything. With debugging enabled, the system becomes unstable - most likely because the kernel size is greater.

I'm getting the same issue but with an Orig disk. I can go back to the last official update and get a working system, but as soon as I load any CF the disk is no longer recognised, so I don't think the issue is with disk. Have been a long term user of the CF (thanks all efforts/hard work v.much appreciated), so will miss it badly if I now am back on just the stock build.

Last edited:
Yes, we know that. he said it earlier. If you have the same problem, have you followed the advice given to Will?

EDIT
harryfax has changed his post above, making my comment redundant.

Last edited:
I'm getting the same issue but with an Orig disk. I can go back to the last official update and get a working system, but as soon as I load any CF the disk is no longer recognised, so I don't think the issue is with disk. Have been a long term user of the CF (thanks all efforts/hard work v.much appreciated), so will miss it badly if I now am back on just the stock build.
Try CFW 3.03 - http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads

HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.03: I am also getting HDD access problem - randomly there and then not (not listed in df on telnet). I can hear disk spin up.

Disk is WDC WD20EURS-73SPKY0 2TB CS

Seems to work fine so far with 3.02 and was working fine with 2.xx

Back