Major probs - possibly caused by dedub or tidyfolders

Richyroo

Hey guys, I am having serious trouble with my box.

Firstly, apologies if I call the packages by the wrong names, I have lost access to the webif along with other probs.

It started the other night when I was trying dedub. I ran this through the webif on a couple of folders. Tonight I installed and tried the tidy-folders package, now I have major probs.

I tried deleting some programes from a series folder to see how tidy-folders works. I was left with a constant icon in the top right hand of my screen saying "deleting".
This is now never going away, which prevents my box from shutting down. I can press the standby button, but the hard-drive never "clicks" off (when I press standby again it is up and running in a second or two.

I have since tried to remove all custom firmware and packages through the webif.
Now when I navigate to the webif IP address of my box, it states that "customer firmware successfully installed" and that I can "download and install full web interface".

If I try and install the webif again, I get the following error...

Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/Packages.gz.
Collected errors:
* make_directory: Cannot create directory `/mod/var/opkg/info': Read-only file system.
* opkg_download: Failed to download http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.
* rm_r: Failed to open dir : No such file or directory.

Error retrieving package list from the Internet. Please check your connection
and try again.

I thought maybe trying to format my hardrive by removing all content, but I cant whilst the box is in a never ending "delete" state.

Can anyone help or advise how I can recover this?

The read only file system error indicates you have hard disk problems. You need to run fix-disk from a telnet session. pipped by af123 !

Sorry I jumped the gun and am trying something else. It gave no message back

I noticed if I turned the box off at the wall, when I turn it back on, I have about 2 seconds when it comes up before it gets stuck in the loop. In these 2 seconds I have now jumped into the installation menu to do a format of the hard drive.
I only started noticing these problems after using dedub and tidy-folders. Something strange was happening with duplicate files being created and then not deleting correctly or coming back after I had deleted them.
Well I will see if this factory reset will work.....

Ok a factory reset seems to of worked. I genuinely believe this was caused by the packages I installed somehow because of the misbehaviour the last couple of days with the files.

Well it let me reinstall webif and everything seems normal again, although I have lost all my programs, schedules ets

You definitely had some filesystem corruption on the disk which is unlikely to have been caused by those packages. They may have exposed corruption that was already present by exercising the disk slightly more than it had been before.

fix-disk would have sorted it out with you losing settings and recordings but the reset/reformat will have repaired the filesystem too.

Was just worrying because I lost all control of my box. Could telnet in but not fix disk, lost the web if etc. Whatever caused it, I'm glad its sorted. Just a little annoyed that I have lost the Olympics opening and closing ceremonies in HD.

Thanks for replying though and giving your input

Sent from my Nexus 7

What happened when you did run fix-disk? If the command aborted when you entered "y", chances are you did not have your Telnet client configured properly.

Just a little annoyed that I have lost the Olympics opening and closing ceremonies in HD.
Act in haste, repent at leisure.

I guess that's a possibility as I was panicking and rushing.

I typed in the first line which worked. I then clicked "y" when it asked and nothing happened it just went to a new line

I always rush things, like to get things sorted. Maybe should of taken more time

Sent from my Nexus 7

I typed in the first line which worked. I then clicked "y" when it asked and nothing happened it just went to a new line

This is because Telnet was not setup correctly see NOTES at the end of the Telnet notes HERE

e.g.
  • [Putty] Telnet >> Connection >> Telnet >> return Key sends Telnet New Line instead of ^M should be 'un-Ticked'
  • [Windows] Telnet >> unset crlf

Back