Make and type of HDD now used and recording to pen drive

charentejohn

Hi all
My old Humax has an HDD problem and I am looking at replacing it with a WD AV drive (as advised on another thread) or now maybe buying a replacement 1000S 500GB new model.
I asked support what drives were in the new ones but they were not sure, still waiting for an e-mail response so they may yet reply.
Does anyone know if the new boxes use an AV HDD ? Nice if they did but nobody seems to know.

Also I found a lot of problems on forums re the new boxes, worst of which is that they no longer allow a copy of videos to a USB pen drive ? True or false ?

Any help appreciated.

No idea why not but Humax tech support don't know. Better still they said they didn't know what I meant by an AV HDD, but maybe they are technical in the sense of how the software works rather than hardware.
Sarky replies don't help much, if you don't know for sure then no need for the italics and underlining to show how stupid the question was. So what brand and type do they use, do you know ?

Mine has failed after 4 years, sort of reasonable timeframe but I would have preferred it to last longer so maybe it isn't an AV one ? Who knows for sure, lots of debate elsewhere as to the pros and cons of AV drives.

Slightly academic anyway as support replied that the new boxes won't allow copying to USB drives which is a deal breaker for me.
This was 80% of the reason for buying Humax, if it won't do it and I have to use video cards etc then there are other recorders out there so I will compare a few.

No need to reply here anymore as I will just replace the drive in my current Humax. Despite the debate on whether it matters I will use an AV one just because, quite rightly, their spec makes sense in this application.
I will know for sure what the old one is once removed.

No idea why not but Humax tech support don't know. Better still they said they didn't know what I meant by an AV HDD, but maybe they are technical in the sense of how the software works rather than hardware.
No, they're just clueless about most things, especially technical things relating to their own products.
Tech. support is just a made up name for a monkey reading a script. It has nothing to do with what any reasonable person might expect.

I believe that Seagate pipeline drives are used. A previous post from BobCat indicated that they do use other brands from time to time.
All however are AV low power drives.

Back