making dvds

A DVD authoring program produces the set of .BUP, .IFO and .VOB files that you have, so the authoring has already been done, all you need to do is burn the Video_TS folder to a DVD using a DVD burning program such as Nero, The Audio is contained in the .VOB files the Audio_TS does not need to contain any files

Many thanks for that. It has got me a BIT further forward. My version of Nero (can't remember its history!) reported 'compatibility' issues and refused to do anything. So I downloaded and installed ImgBurn - which succeeded in writing to the DVD, and all seemed well until the very end of the verification process - when it reported a failure! Not surprisingly, when I put it into a DVD player, it complained of invalid format or somesuch, and refused to play it. As expected, PC-based DVD-playing applications don't recognise it either. However, I can browse it - and can play the .VOB files in VLC Media Player - but WITHOUT any sound!

I might have another go with DVDFlick - this time telling it to burn direct to DVD. I might try some different files - from SD recordings since, as others have suggested, there may be issues relating to my HD recordings. I'd like to crack these though, 'cos the particular programmes which SWMBO wants to keep were recorded in HD.

WT

Well anyone shelling out for a HD pvr is likely to use the HD channels, otherwise there are much cheaper options. My faithfull old Toppy is as good a pvr as the HDR FOX T2 if you ignore the HD channels.

I beg to differ. I got the HDR as a replacement for an ageing SD pvr with extra network capabilities. I try to avoid recording in HD as I don't have an HD set yet, the recordings take up more space and I can't reliably play them over my home network.

On the subject of recording to DVD, if you use an SD recording then you just need a little unpacking and repacking to get into the required files for DVD. If you use HD then you need to fully decode and recode which is time consuming and fiddly. The small gain you may get in picture quality (if you do it right - you could easily end up with worse quality) needs to be weighed against the extra effort.

I beg to differ. I got the HDR as a replacement for an ageing SD pvr with extra network capabilities. I try to avoid recording in HD as I don't have an HD set yet, the recordings take up more space and I can't reliably play them over my home network.

On the subject of recording to DVD, if you use an SD recording then you just need a little unpacking and repacking to get into the required files for DVD. If you use HD then you need to fully decode and recode which is time consuming and fiddly. The small gain you may get in picture quality (if you do it right - you could easily end up with worse quality) needs to be weighed against the extra effort.

I rarely make optical disks, it's easier to copy to a usb drive and use a cheap network player. No recoding required and replay is in HD, they will be available in HD as and when you get a HD set. Not so for content saved to DVD. Very occasionly there's something I want to keep on optical. Don't bother recoding simply burn in full HD quality to DVD blanks (that's what Sony and Panasonic invented AVCHD for). You do need a Blu-ray player or a pS3 to replay these unless your PC can be connected to a TV. Surprised you can't play HD over your home network, mine's nothing special (Wireless G) it copes with 1080i to a Asus tablet no problem. Of course you need the CF to remove the encryption unless streaming to another Humax with DLNA client capability built in (HDR FOX T2, HD FOX T2 or HDR-1000/1010S)

Amazon list Systor M-disc DVD+R 10-cake for £40 or 20 for £70 "Write Once&Read Forever M-DISC Blank Media DVD+R"
A compatible burner is required.

Back