Manual doesn't mention wi-fi connection?

OK guys, joking aside. FYI I have successfully used the manual edit method to change a 10 character password to one containing 26 characters, including "%#<>" which are not available in the Humax character set.

Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure Wifi

Note that your wifi password must only contain the characters available on the entry screen, and must be short enough to enter before the screen times out. That rules out my wifi network!

With 1.03.12 firmware password length is not an issue, as someone proved on a recent thread entering something like a 127 character password (I forget, it was very long). And if the entry timeout still exists it is much longer than it used to be, I no long have trouble at my Aunt's entering my long passphrase for personal hotspot.

What I think may still be an issue is spaces in the SSID, I've seen no evidence that this now works.

Never had any timeout issues entering my 16-character wifi password !

What I did have a problem with was my SSID. I had set my router to NOT broadcast my SSID as an additional security measure.
This had the unfortunate consequence that every time I re-booted the HDR-Fox I had to setup wifi once again - what a bore!

Needless to say my SSID is now broadcast.

Your SSID is always broadcast over the air, there's just a flag saying whether the receiving end should display it. As such this is worthless as a security measure, anyone trying to break in is likely to have software that ignores the flag.

A few weeks ago I tried a 63 simple to type password on an HDR-FOX T2 which is normally wired and had no timeout and connected fine.
Just tried an HD-FOX T2 (1.03.02) and it times out at 3 minutes. All I could casually enter from a pre decided more varied pseudo password was the first 40 characters B~'ddWl@|v~oF|bwF{P785ot,f-Nxlq=eg/_GFN+
Are some Humax softwares timing out on less than 3 minutes?

Older firmware timed out a lot faster than 3 minutes. I had to practice to enter my 16 character password with older firmware.

The Wifi SSID and password are held in clear text in the 252 byte binary blob WLAN_CONNECTED_AP in table "TBL_MENUCONFIG"
The SSID is at offset 0x00 and password at offset 0x78. I think it could definitely be do-able to create a webif page to display or modify all the current network settings, not just WiFi.
In case anyone is wondering, the "Copy DB to USB" option on the hidden service menu exports the channel.db, rsv.db, and setup.db files to USB storage (you have no control over which one if you have more than one connected, so best only have one). I've not tried it, but it seems to me perfectly feasible to use SQLite on a PC to do the relevant table manipulations and then "Copy DB to Flash" to save the modified setup.db file back to the Humax - no custom firmware needed.

Last edited:
You could always manually edit the settings.db to use a password that has characters not included in the entry screen. I've done this myself as proof of concept so I know it works.
The Wifi SSID and password are held in clear text in the 252 byte binary blob WLAN_CONNECTED_AP in table "TBL_MENUCONFIG"
The SSID is at offset 0x00 and password at offset 0x78. I think it could definitely be do-able to create a webif page to display or modify all the current network settings, not just WiFi.
Here's a couple of screenshots showing the WiFi settings blob "WLAN_CONNECTED_AP", and the IP address blob "ETHERNET_CONF_1ST_IP" which holds the 4 byte hex value of the current IP address.
Obviously, I have edited out my real network SSID and password.
View attachment 1531View attachment 1532

It would be possible to do this through the hidden menu export/input but, as you say, it would be a lot easier with custom firmware - see http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/webif-setting-of-lan-wifi-configuration.5990/ for progress on adding network configuration to the web interface settings screen.

Last edited:
Back